2012 GTI Rev Hang

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: 2012 GTI Rev Hang

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:Clifford revs up upon disengaging the clutch for the next gear. It only happens for a fraction of a second, but then it drops right back down. I wonder if this is Ford's way of compensating for reaction time or whatever.
I imagine it's merely throttle lag...you take your foot off the accelerator, and it takes that fraction of a second for the throttle to close. Could also just be your own foot timing.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Could also just be your own foot timing.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

Hey there! Congrats on the car!

I also have a 2012 but I can't say that I experience a lot of the same manual/DBW issues that people post about on the VW forums. I've been able to drive it smoothly since the day I bought it. This is my first DBW manual car, BTW.

The only problem I have with DBW is that sometimes it goes full retard when starting in first gear and then having to step on the clutch again (for example, someone cuts you off or you're making a last minute decision). It just kind of stays at ~2k RPMs for a few seconds and makes you look like an idiot :D.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:Clifford revs up upon disengaging the clutch for the next gear. It only happens for a fraction of a second, but then it drops right back down. I wonder if this is Ford's way of compensating for reaction time or whatever.

Squint, does your Fiesta do that too?
Slightly late response, been busy, sorry. In regards to your question: not really, I think it's just a bit of throttle lag. The way I drive, I almost always give it just a hair more throttle before I shift, so I don't have to worry about rev matching too match. When I say a hair, I mean like maybe 100-200 rpm. It's not even really a conscious thing, just starting to push in the clutch before I take my foot off the gas pedal.

^^-- that might not make sense. I can try again if necessary :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Busy people are busy. No big deal. I'm starting to think it's just a bit of throttle lag myself. It's easy to work with and in some ways makes the car easier to drive.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!