headlights: main function?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Headlights

To See
59%
To Be Seen
41%

Total votes: 22

HighlyEvolved
Senior Standardshifter

Post by HighlyEvolved »

I do know what each one is for I just don't know their respective names.
and you're right about the high beams, they turn un by pulling a little lever once the normal lights are on. I love to switch them on and off at night at cars in front of me :lol: . oh and about that test, I didn't pass it cause I never had one. In my country they never make you take a driving test. You turn 16 and they automatically assume you can drive :D
'06 SEAT Ibiza
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

So, what country are you from?
Pues, de cual pais eres?
Tu viens d'ou, alors?
Poi, di dove sei? :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
HighlyEvolved
Senior Standardshifter

Post by HighlyEvolved »

mexico
'06 SEAT Ibiza
7thgear
Senior Standardshifter

Post by 7thgear »

if you take your driver's test, one of the questions asks what are the headlights main function. one was for other drivers to see you and the other one was for you to see the road. i chose for you to see the road which was wrong, because that's what the road lights are for. it's actually for oncoming drivers to see you, which would make more sense. :D
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

7thgear wrote:if you take your driver's test, one of the questions asks what are the headlights main function. one was for other drivers to see you and the other one was for you to see the road. i chose for you to see the road which was wrong, because that's what the road lights are for. it's actually for oncoming drivers to see you, which would make more sense. :D
I think you have it backwards :? , but either way...

We didn't have questions like that on the driving test. In fact, in NY, there are no questions on the driving test; it's all driving. The only questions (which are mostly matching signs to their meaning) are on the permit test. :P
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Well we meant the written test part of the driving test. :lol: Of course no examiner will ask those questions in the driving test part of the driving test, because they don't wanna die from highly-possible accidents caused by distraction of the drivers :lol:.
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

HighlyEvolved wrote:You turn 16 and they automatically assume you can drive :D
Hmm...interesting.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

coolguy wrote:Well we meant the written test part of the driving test. :lol: Of course no examiner will ask those questions in the driving test part of the driving test, because they don't wanna die from highly-possible accidents caused by distraction of the drivers :lol:.
Here there is no written part to the driver's test. To get your permit, though, you have to pass a ridiculously easy written test (multiple choice when i took it) :lol: .
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

:mrgreen: Yeah that is the written test I (and the DMV :lol: ) referred; same thing, multiple choices here 8).
HighlyEvolved
Senior Standardshifter

Post by HighlyEvolved »

Can't get easier than no test at all. 8)
You'd think car accidents would be very high, but actually they're not, people here learn to drive the hard way.
'06 SEAT Ibiza
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

So do most of the people in Mexico drive manual or automatic :?:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

From what I've heard, most cars there are manual. The Vochito (VW Bug- the old one) was only available as a 4 speed manual there and I am pretty sure that was the most popular car until they got the early 90's generation Nissan Sentra (i forget what it's called there). I bet only city buses and a few taxis made from cars like my dad's 86 Olds ninety-eight are the only slushies south of the USA. I'm looking forward to getting cussed-out by Charly and HighlyEvolved. Luckily, I majored in Spanish back in undergrad :twisted:
Charly_GK7
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Charly_GK7 »

I think most drive Autos in Mexico, at least at My city...

oh and I took the driving test. both written and practical (or whatever its called...) but it really sucked, the instructor just asked me to drive through a parking lot and park the car in reverse. that was all.. :shock:

I consider myself an expert parking the car in whatever position/situation...and I think I impressed the instructor, and she let me go quick... but it sucked anyways, I expected something better, as a drive test.

anyways, Its really impressing to see how many people have some hard times parking their cars, specially in reverse. And I'm afraid of them at the same time, 'cos I've been hit several times because some idiots just dont know how to maneuver their cars well. :evil:
You turn 16 and they automatically assume you can drive
Not necessarily true, but at age 16 you can get your driver's licence for a year with the parents consent after they have signed some paper where they respond directly to whatever stupidity a 16 or less than 18 yr old kid do.
I'm looking forward to getting cussed-out by Charly and HighlyEvolved

what's that :?: lol sorry I didnt get that.

cheers,
Charly
Seat. Auto-emoción
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Thanks for answering, guys :wink:.
HighlyEvolved
Senior Standardshifter

Post by HighlyEvolved »

So do most of the people in Mexico drive manual or automatic
Manual by far. Mainly because manual cars are usually cheaper. And about that VW, it has been off production for a while now but Volkswagen released like 3 new models last year. All manual-only.
'06 SEAT Ibiza