'86 Honda Accord First car?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

What new honda to get (manual)

Accord
No votes
Civic
100%
Insight
No votes
Other (specifiy in reply)
No votes

Total votes: 3

jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

'86 Honda Accord First car?

Post by jcprov21 »

I know i have posted about this before but have gotten a chance to look the car over good.
My mom has this friend that has a 1986 Honda Accord LX-i 5 Speed Manual Transmission, fully loaded with moon roof, power locks, power windows, motorized mirrors, full power steering, cruise control e.t.c e.t.c
I did drive it and found that it runs well, no smoke from tail pipe, tight steering, smooth shifts, new clulch at 150,000 miles. All functions work and run well. Smooth ride. I drove it a good 25 miles into San Luis Obispo and back. On the freeway, and in traffic. My mom also drove it and gave it her approvel. She is offering it to me for $500.00 plus me agreeing to help her pick out a new honda car. I wont get it until next year so i am looking for a little advise here. I have knowen her for years and trust her very much! I am hopeing that a year away the car will still be worth it (of course i will test drive it again) Anyway give me your input.

P.S : She wants a new honda with a stick! Which IYHO is the best one?
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

why do you have to wait a year?
game_tip
Senior Standardshifter

Post by game_tip »

insight is good for the crazy awsome gas mileage, but it's an ugly car, and only 2 seater.

if she wants a coupe, civic HX gets good gas mileage for a non-hybrid car.

the accord is a sort of luxery car, but it all boils down to how much she wants to spend, and what her needs in a vehicle are
1999 Honda Accord LX 5-speed
P911C4
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '04 911, '08 Civic Si

Post by P911C4 »

Hondas are great cars; I'm not going to lie about that. My dad has owned three, my sister two, and myself one but hope to get another Accord as my first new car.

Accords are one of the best cars you can buy today. You can two different engine options (I4 @ 160 bhp or V6 @ 240 bhp), plus the choice of a sedan or coupe. They even have a hybrid version now that makes 255 bhp. I have a 2000 Accord Coupe (I4 @ 147 bhp, 5MT). I love it to death. It's got great handling, decent power, and the shifter quality is excellent, although the throws are very long.

Civics are smaller. They're thus less expensive and have less power, but being that it's a well-engineered Japanese automobile, it's going to last forever anyway. They also come in a million varieties from the run-of-the-mill Civic LX sedan to the sporty Civic SI hatchback.

Insights are interesting cars. I've never driven one, and they're from what I've seen as far as hybrid vehicles go, they seem to be less popular than Toyota's Prius - simply because I've seen more Priuses than Insights. I think both these cars are on the ugly side.

Hondas are not initially inexpensive but they tend to last for centuries. It all depends on what you want in a car. Got a (large) family? Get an Accord sedan. Just need a cheap car to get you to and from work? A Civic is an excellent choice. Want to save money on gas? An Insight might be the right car for you.

Test drive all of them and see what tickles your fancy.
StandardShift.com Member #193

The Stable:
//2004 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet 6MT//
//2008 Honda Civic Si 6MT//
grievre
Senior Standardshifter

Post by grievre »

The most sturdy, reliable, cheapest and easiest to service cars ever were the 1988-1991 honda civics (aka the "EF" civics).
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

subzero wrote:why do you have to wait a year?
She will be getting enough money for a down payment
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I am not 100% sure, but I think all the Honda models have substantially grown over the years so that the most direct replacement for an 86 Accord would be a Civic.

But what is she looking for?
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

P911C4 wrote:Hondas are great cars; I'm not going to lie about that. My dad has owned three, my sister two, and myself one but hope to get another Accord as my first new car.

Accords are one of the best cars you can buy today. You can two different engine options (I4 @ 160 bhp or V6 @ 240 bhp), plus the choice of a sedan or coupe. They even have a hybrid version now that makes 255 bhp. I have a 2000 Accord Coupe (I4 @ 147 bhp, 5MT). I love it to death. It's got great handling, decent power, and the shifter quality is excellent, although the throws are very long.

Civics are smaller. They're thus less expensive and have less power, but being that it's a well-engineered Japanese automobile, it's going to last forever anyway. They also come in a million varieties from the run-of-the-mill Civic LX sedan to the sporty Civic SI hatchback.

Insights are interesting cars. I've never driven one, and they're from what I've seen as far as hybrid vehicles go, they seem to be less popular than Toyota's Prius - simply because I've seen more Priuses than Insights. I think both these cars are on the ugly side.

Hondas are not initially inexpensive but they tend to last for centuries. It all depends on what you want in a car. Got a (large) family? Get an Accord sedan. Just need a cheap car to get you to and from work? A Civic is an excellent choice. Want to save money on gas? An Insight might be the right car for you.

Test drive all of them and see what tickles your fancy.
I think i shall have her do that, she told me she was looking for a manual hybird? if they make one, i only really see automatics
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

She is single and just looking for a car to get just her around and her mom sometimes, ond she wants to save on gas
!xobile
Junior Standardshifter

Post by !xobile »

If she just wants a car for fuel economy, she should just get a Civic. Solid car
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

As far as hybrids, the Insight and Civic Hybrid are available with manuals. I believe the Accord Hybrid is auto-only.

She does understand that, particularly if she doesn't do much city driving, the hybrid is not likely to ever pay for itself, right?