What it feel like to be 'alf British

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

What it feel like to be 'alf British

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I've had a couple opportunities lately to drive a RHD Fiat Fremont. No long trips, but I've put maybe 25-30 miles on it and I'm still not warming up to driving from the right-hand seat and shifting with my left hand/arm. It's been several years since I've driven a Starboard Amish vehicle on Port Amish roads and I don't remember feeling this uncomfortable with it. Actually, what's bothering me mostly are 3 things:

1) - Lane Positioning - I don't feel confident that I'm centering the vehicle in my traffic lane. I try using the old routine that my driver's education instructor, Mr. Bass (and you thought it might have been Gottlieb Daimler), taught me - stare at a spot in the center of my lane far down the road. I'm still very self-conscious about it.

2) - Steering with my dominant hand/arm while I'm shifting. One, or two, might think the right hand of a right-handed person would feel natural at this, but it isn't working that way for me.

3) - Using the mirrors to keep track of traffic behind me - for one thing, looking up to the left to check the windshield-mounted rearview mirror isn't a natural thing for me to do. I haven't found myself staring at the right-side A-Pillar yet, like I used to do when driving Starboard-Amish, but scanning that rearview mirror is like searching for Waldo - I have to scan FOR the mirror, then scan the image it is reflecting to me of the traffic behind me. The door-mounted side mirrors aren't such a big issue, but my primary point of reference must be that center mirror.

Shifting seems to be the least of my concerns, but I don't think I could ever get comfortable with how the floor pan isn't flat beneath the clutch pedal - must be an offset tunnel to fit the exhaust catalytic converter under.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: What it feel like to be 'alf British

Post by Squint »

Thinking about it, it would really weird me out to drive RHD. I think I could do it, but I would not like the first couple of trips (maybe couple of weeks?) to be in rush hour or anywhere there is lots of pressure while driving.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Re: What it feel like to be 'alf British

Post by Standardshifter »

I've found it isn't the which side of the road/shifting with left hand that's the issue. It is the car placement based on what feels like sitting in the passenger seat which gets the best of me.

Add in typical narrow European roads and I've felt the tires get close to the berm/made contact with mirrors on the passenger side. First time it happened I was embarrassed, but after taking a quick look at local cars, I noticed everybody had multicolored mirrors, so didn't feel as bad.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites