What influenced your interest in manual transmissions?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
gburn
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Civic Si sedan

Re: What influenced your interest in manual transmissions?

Post by gburn »

As to what got me interested in driving a manual car, it was one of those life skills I decided I needed to learn to do. I got an 08 Civic Si last year and am enjoying driving, learning the skills, and being very connected to the car. I had driven a 98 Buick Regal (automatic) for twelve years, and although there was a lot to like about it, in the end, it was just something to sit in while going from here to there.
2008 Civic Si 4dr.
ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ManualShifterMz3s »

Shadow wrote:What influenced your earliest interest in manual transmissions?
For me it was SIMPLE, I was bored of 'shifting' my automatic from d1, d2, d3, etc and.... went and bought a new car Mazda3 not long after.

I was even stalling coming from the dealer, but never once regretted it...
2017 Ford Mustang, Eco-Boost, Turbo 4, 6 speed Grabber Blue
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4, Red < wife's ride
2004 Mazda 3, 2.3s, stick, Solar Yellow
chelsear513
Junior Standardshifter

Post by chelsear513 »

My older brother influenced me. He told me lots of awesome things about driving m/t cars. But years ago, traffic is not that terrible and you can get by without having to attend too much to your cellphone. :lol:
Detailing made easier with Gel Coat Repair. Wipe on clear Gelcoat Repair.
Incendium
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Incendium »

Drove an auto for a while, got bored of it and bought the car I've wanted since a kid (the 'stang) how I wanted it (manual) when I was financially able. Haven't looked back since.
2012 V6 Mustang MT82
Ryan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Ryan »

I became interested sort of on accident haha. I was looking for a car when I turned 16 and one of my father's co-workers was selling his isuzu rodeo dirt cheap. I didn't even want it because I was looking for a car not a truck/suv and didn't want a standard either way. My father pretty much told me "Either I'll buy that truck for you (because it was a great price) or you can find whatever you want and pay for it yourself." Needless to say I took the rodeo and I'm so happy I did because it was what got me into driving manual. If I didn't I probably be driving some lame auto right now and would have no clue what im missing out on.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

I have a Rodeo too. They're great trucks. What year is yours?
towid
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Accord V6 Ex-L

Post by towid »

I got interested in manual transmission when I saw no one in my community drives a stick shift.. NO ONE. it is as if it is a quality that very few people posses. That is the main reason for my love towards stick shift.

Also, if you are stuck somewhere and the only way to get out of there is driving a stick shift, then what you do? it is just another skill ( like playing guitar or piano or cooking ) that helps you to stand out of the crowd and say " Look I can drive a stick shift " .
No Woman deserves your tears and the one who does, will never make you cry.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

towid wrote:I got interested in manual transmission when I saw no one in my community drives a stick shift.. NO ONE. it is as if it is a quality that very few people posses. That is the main reason for my love towards stick shift.
Out of curiosity, how big is your community? It'd be more impressive for you if it was, say, New York City (obviously not true), but I'm just wondering how many people you're talking about.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Squint wrote:
towid wrote:I got interested in manual transmission when I saw no one in my community drives a stick shift.. NO ONE. it is as if it is a quality that very few people posses. That is the main reason for my love towards stick shift.
Out of curiosity, how big is your community? It'd be more impressive for you if it was, say, New York City (obviously not true), but I'm just wondering how many people you're talking about.
I've actually been very surprised with the amount of people around me who currently drive manuals transmission vehicles. My neighbor drives an Audi A4 (which is automatic), but her daughter just got a 2011 328i with a stick and her boyfriend has a 2010 335i which is also a stick. My neighbor across the street has a really nice 2011 M3 with the Competition pkg and it's also a stick. My neighbor down the road has a stick shift Altima, but he's looking to trade it in on a new Maxima, which of course isn't offered with a stick. At work I have several co-workers who drive stick. A few Mustangs, BMW's, and even a new VW CC, all with sticks. Even an older guy with a nice black S2000...they're everywhere!
towid
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Accord V6 Ex-L

Post by towid »

Squint wrote:
200, no stick shift :)
No Woman deserves your tears and the one who does, will never make you cry.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote::lol: When I was a child I thought the same about men=manual women=auto. I also thought women drove cars and men drove trucks (except that men drove Camaros), women ate white bread and men ate wheat bread, and who knows what else.

Sounds like a really awesome friend who doesn't even wince when you manage to get his car into 1st at 70.

I hope I never drive a slushbox that fails to downshift immediately when necessary...my difficulty has always been preventing downshifts, I like to lay on it and use some torque without going "VROOOM!".
Thank you, again, Mr. Cow, for helping me not feel so stupid about an idiotic thought process. I've been slacking and haven't visited the SS in awhile since I secretly have an extreme hatred of computers and most things they stand for.

Yep, my friend is pretty awesome. He abused that transmission more than I could ever dream of: keeping the gas floored while shifting, burnouts, and any number of things I can't even fathom right now. He keeps trying to get me to learn how to burn out in my car, but I honestly don't think it's possible and the fact that it is "wrong-wheel drive" (according to the blowhards on other sites I frequent).

On a side note, I've gotten myself to the point where I'm only killing my little Banshee periodically and it is no longer a regular occurrence. Although, I still have my bad weeks where I kill it more frequently; luckily there's generally no traffic when I do it. I'm still trying to work up the nerve to try to teach myself rev-matching, because that's a skill I would like to have eventually. My issue is that the only time I'm really downshifting is if I'm having to slow down for reduced traffic speed and I generally over-blip the throttle and rocket forward (and I don't feel I have the necessary coordination to try the heel-toe thing). I'm also still working on smoothing out my shifts especially from 1-2.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Don't over analyze your driving. That's when stuff starts getting really bad.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

^what he said. Also, "wrong wheel drive" makes burnouts easier, less impressive, and equally abusive.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
aussie_eagle2512
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 97 EP91 Starlet

Post by aussie_eagle2512 »

I think what influenced me was just that I like to understand machines I am using. Its the same with computers, I built this computer and do my own hardware installations. Of course cars are far more complex especially nowdays and the manual transmission gives me that control over things without getting overly technical (although I check tyres weekly and top up my own oil and washer water reservoir too). I am also a slow learner though so it took me several years to finally get my manual license (had a auto-only one for part of my 3 year probationary period). However, I then decided I wanted to learn RoadRanger trucks (non-synchro gearbox, compulsory double-clutching and rev-matching), so first got a medium truck license (synchro) and upgraded to heavy truck license with no transmission restriction (all buses/coaches and trucks except semi-trailers).
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I got into driving a stick because I would ride with my dad in his 5-speed F-150. I would think "Wow this is a lot more fun to ride in than an automatic!" :mrgreen:
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k