Chrysler PT Crusier Auto Stick Transmission

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Will the Auto Stick end the Tranny Fighting???

YES
No votes
NO
90%
Unknown
10%
Don't Care
No votes

Total votes: 10

jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Chrysler PT Crusier Auto Stick Transmission

Post by jcprov21 »

Something that is kind of interesting to hear that chrysler has come out with the auto stick. Allows the driver to go into drive like in an auto or put it in to a/s to do clulchless manual shifting. This may be the cure for the coples who want a car that both want to drive such as the case in family my dad hates manuals and does not want to shift but my mom loves them and has been driving them for 30+years and likes to control that she has over the gears. will this end the fighting???? I have a poll let me know!!
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Re: Chrysler PT Crusier Auto Stick Transmission

Post by VTECaddict »

jcprov21 wrote:Something that is kind of interesting to hear that chrysler has come out with the auto stick. Allows the driver to go into drive like in an auto or put it in to a/s to do clulchless manual shifting. This may be the cure for the coples who want a car that both want to drive such as the case in family my dad hates manuals and does not want to shift but my mom loves them and has been driving them for 30+years and likes to control that she has over the gears. will this end the fighting???? I have a poll let me know!!
chrysler has had auto stick for forever. i remember it being available on like 1999 caravans (only ES top of the line trim). its a nice compromise, but true standard shift lovers wont be completely satisfied.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
Audiphile
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Audiphile »

Auto stick seems like it's made for people who want to feel like they are drivintg stick but they are too lazy. To me, they are basically driving automatic. The experience is way different. I'm guessing the debate will go on, but it shouldn't matter.
Honda Civic 5-speed.
VTEC is poor man's turbo
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

They suck. When I put my aunt's Acura TL type-S in manual mode then punched it, the torque converter unlocks as the car oozed forward. I wanted to feel the surge of that V6. Manual mode is for people who don't know how to drive a manual in stop and go traffic..
ltkpn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ltkpn »

Autostick is definitely not like a clutchless manual. They came up with it in 1998 on the Intrepid and it is a 100% fully automatic transmission with an extra switch that allows the driver to tell the computer when to perform the shift. It just feels like every automatic and you get tired of shifting yourself after 5 miles when you realize it doesn't change anything in the way the car behaves.
If you can't heel-toe, it isn't a car.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

THx

Post by jcprov21 »

Thanks for the input i never know that they had one before. Anyway i dont think my parents will go for it anyway, gonna be stuck with a darn auto again (the story of life) But due to the many mech problems with the PT i think we are going to get a jeep liberty witch has a manual for the base model which is all my dad buys. So i have hope... wish me luck...
(I tend to ramble on don't i?)
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

STICK IS STICK... autostick is not STICK it's sick
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

ltkpn is absolutely right again. I drove a Lincoln LS with a manual mode on its automatic once. After concluding that there was about a half-second delay in the system that made it impossible to rev-match, I slipped it back into the automatic gates after roughly a quarter mile...
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

ReckLess wrote:autostick is not STICK it's sick
:lol: Nooooo. Autostick is autostick but it MAYBE sick as well :lol:!!!
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

coolguy wrote:
ReckLess wrote:autostick is not STICK it's sick
:lol: Nooooo. Autostick is autostick but it MAYBE sick as well :lol:!!!
u sure? it ain't the same.. hehehe...

FIGHT THE SYSTEM!
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

I am pretty sure, unless u can change that word in the mighty English dictionary from "autoSTICK" to "autoSICK" :mrgreen:.