Best Looking Interiors

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Re: Best Looking Interiors

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

I once saw a video of a guy who had installed a shifter that must've just about touched the ceiling of the tractor/trailer he was driving.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Do all you guys rest your arm on the shifter or something? I pretty much don't touch mine unless I'm shifting, so positioning it right next to the steering wheel would be ideal. I either have both hands on the wheel or occasionally rest one at my side. I almost never rest it on the shifter.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

i like these weird shifter placements and would love to try one. If I ever seen a Civic Si with one like that I will finagle a short drive.

How about the weirdo Lenco drag manual shifters? Now that's a lot of work.

4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

Warner wrote:Do all you guys rest your arm on the shifter or something? I pretty much don't touch mine unless I'm shifting, so positioning it right next to the steering wheel would be ideal. I either have both hands on the wheel or occasionally rest one at my side. I almost never rest it on the shifter.
I usually leave my hand/arm resting on the shifter. Maybe it's a young this-generation thing.

Edit: maybe that last point should be scratched. I see you're only 2 years older than me.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

eggwich delfiero wrote:i like these weird shifter placements and would love to try one. If I ever seen a Civic Si with one like that I will finagle a short drive.

How about the weirdo Lenco drag manual shifters? Now that's a lot of work.

Would want to tool around in as a weekend car, would not want for DD. :shock: I love driving standard, but that's too much shifting.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

When I had the Tempo I rested my hand on the shifter, but on the manual cars I usually don't after it's set in a gear, if I'm shifting while acceling from a stop then I just leave my hand on the shifter between shifts.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Warner wrote:Do all you guys rest your arm on the shifter or something? I pretty much don't touch mine unless I'm shifting, so positioning it right next to the steering wheel would be ideal. I either have both hands on the wheel or occasionally rest one at my side. I almost never rest it on the shifter.
well today it was mostly no hands... i found harmonica so i drove to the gym steering with my knee. Harmonicas sound awesome. And the carrera shifter location would stop black people reclining their seats as they wouldn't be able to shift.

+1million to porsche for stopping the my car car seat is a recliner movement.
<3 fwd
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

That was the whole point of the setup. My friend was explaining it to me and it made perfect sense. Guess it never got enough praise? :? . And that design from the EP3 Civic is out of England IIRC.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

My usual driving position is as follows:
- Left elbow on windowsill. Always.
- Left hand on steering wheel (at 10:00) or hanging off windowsill.
- Right elbow on center armrest. Always.
- Right hand hanging off center armrest or on steering wheel (at 5:00).

There is a correct height and angle for each arm. My elbows rarely leave their position except when required to operate controls - large steering or shifting inputs, usually. I drive 2 hours a day on average, and being able to comfortably relax my position is important to me.

I do tend to shift more than most people. I enjoy shifting, and I enjoy squeezing out that last little piece of one MPG by shifting to stay in the perfect RPM for my speed...so at certain speeds I'm shifting constantly. A floating shifter like that Civic one, or a shifter almost at shoulder height like in that Porsche, would be tiring and unpleasant.

They are probably good for tense racer-wannabe drivers tightly gripping the steering wheel with their whole white-knuckled fists at 10:00 and 2:00...not so much for relaxed medium/long distance commuters.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

I do almost the same thing thc, only difference is I have my right elbow resting near my body.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

that's one strange shifter.
Leedeth