Mustang GT 5MT

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 Silverado

Mustang GT 5MT

Post by Silverado »

Before and after I got my truck, I had been almost obsessing about it. Seriously, my girlfriend was getting jealous. Often times when we were on a date, I would just circle the parking lot, resisting the short period of separation from my truck.

The reason that I know I am human is because now, almost all I can think about is cruising around in a 2005 and up Ford Mustang GT with the 5-speed. Truck and Girlfriend are both in the background now. I don't think that I am healthy.

Look at this beautiful thing:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Been driving stick since March of 2009
paul34 wrote:good luck on the stickshifting journey - it never ends! And we're all in it together.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Re: Mustang GT 5MT

Post by permabanned »

look at that beautiful thing that still has horse carriage suspension in 2010 and makes not even 70hp/liter

terminators were the best mustangs by far. everything before them built up to their greatness. everything else after this is utter garbage
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Silverado »

Yeah right. Not much is uglier than those. Bringing back the classic body style was the best thing Ford could have done. It is only a matter of time before they change the suspension too.
paul34 wrote:good luck on the stickshifting journey - it never ends! And we're all in it together.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

They should have changed it 30 years ago.

Mustangs suck.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Fox Body with Bassani's and X-pipes FTW!

I never really liked Mustangs in general, but the Fox Body and the Termi were my favorite. Of course, I'd drive any V8 5-speed Mustang if it was given to me, shit it would be fun.
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Silverado »

Jesus, I am alone in a sea of Mustang haters. This thread should be taken down to spare me any more embarrassment.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

IMO, A mustang with a loud exhaust is a car that brings out the giddy little boy in you that wants to rev loud and do huge smoky burnouts. It puts a big silly grin on your face, and let's face it, isn't that what car enthusiasm is about? Just about having fun with a car?
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

IMO a mustang is the best car out there...theres nothing i want beside a mustang, everything else is something i dont want to touch.. given the choice between a porsche, M3, w/e... i would still chose the mustang. unless the trade was for a newer GTO or something else american muscle that i have a thing for. I just cant drive these japanese and european cars. I've modified them, driven them, raced them, and none of them do it for me. only the mustang will do. I wont buy another make of car unless its american muscle till the day i die.

The new mustang has good suspension.. its not as bad as the older generations, its got a very good suspension system imho. iirc its off the lincoln RS, and its got a real mc pherson design unlike the modified mc pherson of the older generations. the 'horse carriage' design that ppl are bashing, is the best built rear end design in the industry and is damn near bullet proof and will handle burnout after doughnut after burnout after doughnut quite reliably.

Even the modified mc pherson designed older suspension despite being old responds quite well.. theres less body roll than most these cheap euro jettas and VWs you see rolling around and feels more solid than most VWs and JDM imports you see a lot on the road ( i bash on VWs because they've earned a name for handling well, even though their suspension feels like utter junk and is a disgrace to the euro scene) Mustangs got un deserved poor rap for suspension.. they can hold their own.

I say do it.. once you've been bitten by the mustang bug, theres no going back.

test drive one and see if you like it. personally the new body style doesnt do it for me, but w/e your into.

VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

JackBauer wrote:The new mustang has good suspension.. its not as bad as the older generations, its got a very good suspension system imho. iirc its off the lincoln RS, and its got a real mc pherson design unlike the modified mc pherson of the older generations. the 'horse carriage' design that ppl are bashing, is the best built rear end design in the industry and is damn near bullet proof and will handle burnout after doughnut after burnout after doughnut quite reliably.
IRS FTW. i find turning much more satisfying than the go pedal, honestly. of course both is even better, but if i had to pick one it would definitely be handling.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Silverado wrote:Jesus, I am alone in a sea of Mustang haters. This thread should be taken down to spare me any more embarrassment.
nope. there are a few stang lovers out there...jb is one. i knew he'd come here. lol i was right.

i don't mind mustangs. but all the chicks driving one and thinking their the shiznit....it sucks.

(i like vettes better) but stangs are cool. heck, i even see a fox body or two floating around jenison (mi)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

JackBauer wrote:IMO a mustang is the best car out there...theres nothing i want beside a mustang, everything else is something i dont want to touch.. given the choice between a porsche, M3, w/e... i would still chose the mustang. unless the trade was for a newer GTO or something else american muscle that i have a thing for. I just cant drive these japanese and european cars. I've modified them, driven them, raced them, and none of them do it for me. only the mustang will do. I wont buy another make of car unless its american muscle till the day i die.

The new mustang has good suspension.. its not as bad as the older generations, its got a very good suspension system imho. iirc its off the lincoln RS, and its got a real mc pherson design unlike the modified mc pherson of the older generations. the 'horse carriage' design that ppl are bashing, is the best built rear end design in the industry and is damn near bullet proof and will handle burnout after doughnut after burnout after doughnut quite reliably.

Even the modified mc pherson designed older suspension despite being old responds quite well.. theres less body roll than most these cheap euro jettas and VWs you see rolling around and feels more solid than most VWs and JDM imports you see a lot on the road ( i bash on VWs because they've earned a name for handling well, even though their suspension feels like utter junk and is a disgrace to the euro scene) Mustangs got un deserved poor rap for suspension.. they can hold their own.

I say do it.. once you've been bitten by the mustang bug, theres no going back.

test drive one and see if you like it. personally the new body style doesnt do it for me, but w/e your into.

i knew you'd show up...haha
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

Mustangs are complete shit, trash, worthless. Back when I had my Camaro Z28 it would eat any Mustang GT for lunch, it'd practically pull buslengths on the highway. Mustangs are slow, heavy, half-assed muscle cars. You want real Muscle then get a 98-02 LS1 Camaro/Trans Am or a 05+ GTO. The Mustang is a vagina car, and nothing else.

The only Mustang that could take my Camaro was a slightly modded 03 Cobra. None others beat me, I remember racing a brand new GT on the highway when they first came out, and I pulled on him like it was nothing. 300 hp doesn't move 3500 lbs very well, especially with such a small motor. The 260 in the older GT's was useless :roll:. My Camaro made 25 more than that at the wheels.

Jack, Mustangs cannot handle worth a flying f*ck. My friend took his '00 up on the 350Z mountain run I did a couple years back, he was at the back of the pack the entire time. He knows how to drive too, he normally races motorcycles. Mustangs just aren't good handling cars, sorry. My 88 Fiero could hang with the new Z's just fine and its ancient, hell I even owned 1 Z pretty badly.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I remember when the 05 first came out, MT's cover car was a Windveil Blue GT with the 5-spoke split-spoke wheels. It made quite an impression, but it should be another 5 years or so before they're in the price range I'm willing to spend on a car, and I hope to still not need one at that point.

I will agree they feel pretty gutless though. I got out of my 'Vette and into a Bullitt once. The difference between power right now and power if you rev it was very poignant.
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

ah tinton, your still a mouthy lil' bastard ya' crazy c**t :lol:
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

im a ford guy and i do like mustangs, but i really dont like the s197s. they are too heavy, gay looking, and slow and have as i stated above horse carriage suspension. american car makers need to snap out of this whole making retro cars bullshit. one car here or there is cool, but everything retro is f**k stupid. they dont realize that our generation, the ones who are buying cars, we dont want shit that looks like its straight from the 50s. we want modern looking shit, so we go foreign because they fullfil our demands better

that being said, im looking forward to the 2015 mustang and the new coyote V8. finally a worthy followup to the 4v mod, a proper engine with proper modern 4 valve setup like everybody been doing for the past 30 years. maybe even a proper suspension.

coyote is showing promise. 5 liter, twin cam, 400hp/400tq all motor. should be easy to make power out of.

but seeing as its still a ford well get the 2010 stang with different taillights and bigger rims and the coyote and call it a completely new mustang.

until ford makes a masterpiece of a mustang, the terminator is still the top breed.

if you dont think it looks badass, get the fvck out of my country
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr