RWD cars, cheap, list

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: RWD cars, cheap, list

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Front wheel drive is inherently inferior as you are tasking the front wheels with acceleration, turning, and deceleration. RWD or AWD alleviate some of the work so the car overall has better grip.
DrNick
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Ford Fusion SEL V6

Post by DrNick »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Front wheel drive is inherently inferior as you are tasking the front wheels with acceleration, turning, and deceleration. RWD or AWD alleviate some of the work so the car overall has better grip.
Exactly. However, another factor is that you will only have those three competing for traction if you're driving at the limits of traction to begin with, which is something that should only really be done on the track anyway. If you're not being an idiot on local, public roads, and are driving intelligently based on the conditions (weather, traffic, etc.), no one layout has any real performance advantage over another (again, off the track).
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

In general, I just prefer the feel of RWD, even if I'm not pushing the limits.
I like how it behaves, I like how it is more efficient, I like how the car reacts when I manipulate the gas.

That plus the inherent advantages of the layout "on the track" and I've got myself a favorite. I actually even prefer RWD to AWD, as far as everyday driving/ownership goes.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

Celicas were RWD till '86. lexus everything except the ES is RWD but only the IS and SC are manual. the GS will fit a manual in the chassis.

Cressidas came 5-speed till '87 and they have the same engines as the supras (minus the turbo) but it's easy as pie to put a 5-speed in them after 87.... that's what I did :-p. it's amazing how much of a difference it makes because it can't be argued that an engine was broken in differently, tuned differently, different final drive, etc. it's an incredible difference in the car. good luck finding one with a 5-speed though. rare as can be.

oh and RWD ftw
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

padauk_dust wrote:In general, I just prefer the feel of RWD, even if I'm not pushing the limits.
I like how it behaves, I like how it is more efficient, I like how the car reacts when I manipulate the gas.

That plus the inherent advantages of the layout "on the track" and I've got myself a favorite. I actually even prefer RWD to AWD, as far as everyday driving/ownership goes.
I remember reading somewhere (was it here?) that RWD is actually better than AWD for drag racing. I don't remember exactly how it went, but basically, since it's harder for an AWD to spin the tires, it bogs the engine down more. It was interesting, I've always assumed AWD MOAR TRAKSHUN FTW SON, it opened my eyes.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

awd i'm sure would be better if you have enough power. but you break axles launching hard.
<3 fwd
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Well, assuming the cars are identical except for the driveline configuration:

If the cars have enough power that the RWD car would break the tires loose with the most aggressive launch it can muster, the AWD car should win the short time (60'), provided it is abused enough to take advantage of its strengths at the launch.

After the RWD car can put down all its power (Or if it can put down all its power at the launch), it will begin to gain on the AWD car because its drivetrain is lighter and less lossy.

Which wins at the 1/8, 1/4, 0-100-0, or whatnot depends on the specifics of the vehicles and the race at hand.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

paul34 wrote:Well two cars that are otherwise equal, the AWD will always bog more at launch. But then again there's more to the drag than just the launch.
no there isnt. launch is everything. nothing that you do down the track can cover up for a shitty launch, the track is too short for that.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

padauk_dust wrote:In general, I just prefer the feel of RWD, even if I'm not pushing the limits.

I'm not so sure that RWD is more efficient. I think it's probably not. However, there are so many ways that folks prefer things that have no logical purpose in a car that I don't see RWD as being something you should have to reason.

You like RWD and so do I, even if we're not doing anything that would work any differently with FWD or AWD. I like it and that's good enough for me.
permabanned wrote:no there isnt. launch is everything. nothing that you do down the track can cover up for a shitty launch, the track is too short for that.
You didn't read what he wrote. Drivetrain loss is more with AWD, and that could make the difference.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

theholycow wrote:
permabanned wrote:no there isnt. launch is everything. nothing that you do down the track can cover up for a shitty launch, the track is too short for that.
You didn't read what he wrote. Drivetrain loss is more with AWD, and that could make the difference.
no it wont make the difference. on a 1/4 mile track, its over before it even starts. launch is absolutely everything, with a bad launch, the whole run is wasted. 1/10th off your 60 foot = 2/10th off your E.T.

and RWD is better at drag launches than AWD. on the street, AWD is king of launch without a question, but if you take something like a built suspension mustang on slicks and a built suspension evo on slicks, mustang will 60 foot it everytime if the driver is good.

if your spinning the tires on the top end you dont have enough tire. youll end up like this guy i know, turbo EP3 civic Si. 450hp, 420 torque, open diff, street tires. 13.5 at like 115-120, spinning 4th thru the traps. no point
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

most rwd cars have like 20%+ drivetrain loses due to the driveshaft, where as my mr2 has a fwd setup in the back so has less drivetrain lose around 15% so good launch cause of weight over drive wheels plus low loss i win! oh wait i dont have any power :lol:

roman, tell that dude he atleast needs a lsd..... open diff with that much power would be stupid. also track tires because shit a fwd with that much power... he only needs 2... with some donuts on the back :lol:
<3 fwd
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Bawked wrote:oh wait i dont have any power :lol:
:lol:
theholycow wrote:I'm not so sure that RWD is more efficient. I think it's probably not.
I'm sorry I was mentally comparing RWD to AWD.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

20% drivetrain losses? That much? That can't be right.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

Leedeth wrote:20% drivetrain losses? That much? That can't be right.
ok not quite.... your bird prolly exceeds 20% loss tho.

fwd is usually in the 10-12% efficiency range, rwd is usually in the 15-20% range, awd is 20-27% usually.... search the individual car if you want to know for sure...
<3 fwd
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

IC powered cars are crazy inefficient. Its something crazy like less than 1/3 of the power of combustion actually makes it to the road.