Old school vs. bling

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Old school vs. bling

Post by PureLife »

Picture this: Intersection, from the direction I'm going, our 2 lanes are crossing 6 lanes, and the right of the 2 lanes ends not long after you clear this intersection.

I'm in the left of the 2 lanes going straight, behind me a van and another 2 cars; so I'm just sitting checking the mirrors, up comes a red Monte Carlo (one of those newer ones) with blingin' rims and thumpin' stereo, and right as he comes up to the light he switches over to the right lane, which is empty. I know he sees the sign saying that his lane ends as it's visible across the intersection, and I know he's gonna go for it. Uh oh :twisted:

I shift my attention to the lights going the other way, still green, yellow, I bring the engine up to about 2000 revs, red ... GREEN! I let the clutch go as hard as its spring will take it back; but lo and behold the Monte Carlo has launched too. The Yokohamas let out a squeal protesting sudden movement and we're off. For the first second or two into the intersection I'm pitching sideways (and what a show it must have been for the people behind me 8) ), and we're even. Finally, grip, he's at my rear quarter at the end of first; I furiously grab 2nd with a long chirp and the pull continues. By the end of 2nd, my lead has increased to a good two lengths. I've already cleared the merge point and he's far behind; I throw it into 4th and keep cruising.

Just thought I'd share my little encounter from Monday; before anyone jumps on my case, yes I understand racing on a public road is bad, but we've all encountered that person that wanted to get in front ... had to prove a point. :lol:
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Re: Old school vs. bling

Post by Leedeth »

Way to go, show them blingers that their bling makes them slow.

Was it an auto?
PureLife
Master Standardshifter

Post by PureLife »

I believe all of them are automatics; 200hp/225lb.ft or something like that, which is pretty much on par with my car (208/225 + manual tranny); I'd more than likely get eaten alive by the supercharged version though ... but thats 300hp, that's far out of reach even if its automatic.

That said, the goodies for my MAF conversion should be here early next week and that upgrade has been dyno proven for 20 or more rear wheel horses. :evil:
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

lol a$$hole lane pwnage ftw... you write very well btw
BarbWire
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 72' Ford Bronco

Post by BarbWire »

haha good work, ill be switching the bronco over to efi and im going to run the MAF system aswell. Good luck with your install
|.//72' Ford Bronco Projects//302 HO//NV3550 5 Speed//Audio System//Interior//Paint//.|
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Boo! Street racing is bad. Blah blah blah, all the important sh*t that nobody gives a damn about even though street racing is bad. Blah blah, in one ear, out the other.

</post>
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
PureLife
Master Standardshifter

Post by PureLife »

BarbWire wrote:haha good work, ill be switching the bronco over to efi and im going to run the MAF system aswell. Good luck with your install
Ironically, this is a 01-04 Ford Lightning 90mm MAF, in a 3 inch housing, tuned with custom software to replace the door type AFM that comes stock... but hey it works, so I'm not complaining. The conversion costs 520 dollars; putting it together myself with the same software supplied with the conversion kit, it wont even cost me 200. :)
BarbWire
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 72' Ford Bronco

Post by BarbWire »

nice, ya not going with a kit either they are soo much more expansive lol

A few trips to the junkyard and some quality time researching saves some big money!
|.//72' Ford Bronco Projects//302 HO//NV3550 5 Speed//Audio System//Interior//Paint//.|
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

Oh how I love a story of old school vs. rice. Old school always pwns!

The hell with their stereos that make the surrounding ten cars vibrate.
sasquatch
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1972 Ford F250

Post by sasquatch »

Oh how I love a story of old school vs. rice. Old school always pwns!

The hell with their stereos that make the surrounding ten cars vibrate.
And drivers who know more about their rims than about their cars! (- but still brag about how nice theirs are, simply because it was made last year).
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

200/225?? what have you done to that little M42? That's moar torks than my N52 has...
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

I'm pretty sure he posted this back when he had his 5-series, not sure which gen.
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

Last edited by mad_finn on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

8) A favorite of mine.
The Healey sounds much better than the ricemobile as well. Straight-cut gearboxes ftw.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:I'm pretty sure he posted this back when he had his 5-series, not sure which gen.
oh. necropost FTL. :lol:
2006 BMW 330i 6MT