Mk5 GTI vs. SL55 AMG

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
Perpetuus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW GTI Mk. V

Mk5 GTI vs. SL55 AMG

Post by Perpetuus »

The other day I was at a stop light with a SL55 AMG beside me, driven by a middle-aged woman. I had no intention of racing her, but the temptation to step on it was too great. Out of 1st gear I had a slight lead, then in 2nd gear I was on par with her. By the time I was reaching for my 3rd gear she pulled away, which was when I realized that she had tried to get into my lane all along so she could get on the on-ramp. What can I say though, that V8 growl sounded nice as she overtook me and greeted me a sight of with her quad exhaust pipes.

But still beaten by a middle-aged woman in slushbox. :?

There couldn't have been any other outcome though. Money vs. skill, lol.

The current SL55 AMG has 510hp. Mine? a modest 200hp.
GTI Mk5 6MT -| Dieselgeek | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | Forge | AWE | H&R | Öhlins | ITG
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Re: Mk5 GTI vs. SL55 AMG

Post by Nychold »

Perpetuus wrote:The other day I was at a stop light with a SL55 AMG beside me, driven by a middle-aged woman. I had no intention of racing her, but the temptation to step on it was too great. Out of 1st gear I had a slight lead, then in 2nd gear I was on par with her. By the time I was reaching for my 3rd gear she pulled away, which was when I realized that she had tried to get into my lane all along so she could get on the on-ramp. What can I say though, that V8 growl sounded nice as she overtook me and greeted me a sight of with her quad exhaust pipes.

But still beaten by a middle-aged woman in slushbox. :?

There couldn't have been any other outcome though. Money vs. skill, lol.

The current SL55 AMG has 510hp. Mine? a modest 200hp.
She was a b**** anyway. I'm sure, with you gunning it, there was plenty of space BEHIND you for her to get over, but she had to get in front. Still, pretty good work keeping up as well as you did. :)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

lol, nice job. you thinking about chipping any time soon?
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Perpetuus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW GTI Mk. V

Post by Perpetuus »

vedran wrote:lol, nice job. you thinking about chipping any time soon?
Oh, not just yet. I am really loving my aftermarket shocks and springs because they dynamically stiffen/soften according to road conditions. My next upgrade will be a set of stiffer front and rear swaybars, and after that a torque biasing limited slip differential. :wink:
GTI Mk5 6MT -| Dieselgeek | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | Forge | AWE | H&R | Öhlins | ITG
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

sounds like you know what you're doing, the first thing that i "upgraded" in my car was my crappy suspension and sway bar. performance will come when i have another car, a garage to work on my car, and money for a turbo setup
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

paul34 wrote:haha, she wasn't even trying :lol:
:lol: :oops:

Damn, I get two great out of context quotes in five minutes