Mustang vs Eclipse

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Mustang vs Eclipse

Post by eaglecatcher »

Okay, so my friend has this slightly ricey eclipse. Nothing special, its a 96ish or so, the one that looks like it has a huge ass if that helps you, an a 4 banger. He's got a few mods, some 19" wheels with some nice nice tires on them, as well as I/H/E.

Regardless... Last time I was at his house, this was before he had his license, him and my other friend were like "dude, his eclipse will rape your mustang" and I was like "okay, whatever". Well, he got his license a few months ago, and we had a chance to race, and needless to say, my car is faster. Not by a lot, but it is :) From a dig, I raped him, he chirped his tires in 1st and I had an absolutely perfect launch. From a roll, we're almost dead even until about 60mph ish, when I just rape him. He has to shift into 3rd at like, 40mph or so, whereas I don't have to until 60. So I can hit 65 in 2nd at redline, which means I've got 20mph on him before I've got to shift. And from 60mph on, my car just walks away from his :)

I guess my car isn't quite as slow as I once though :) Still its slow, 4 bangers give it competition, but when my launches and shifting are good, then it's pretty quick. Now if I had a blower......
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

What engine did he have and what engine do you have?
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

420A eclipses are slow. all they are is a neon
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

People look down on V6 domestics and look up to I4 imports. Never figured that one out...most V6 domestics are faster than I4 imports. Not by "OMG!!fast!11!oneone!" amounts but still. I mean, think about it. The average power output of your typical Japanese I4 today is about 160 hp. The typical power output of your domestic V6 is about 200 hp. The I4 would need to weigh (on average) 20% less than the domestic to have the same power to weight ratio. (Or conversely, the V6 would need to weight 25% more to be as slow.) On your average car (~3000 lbs), 20% is several hundred pounds. So yeah...people bag on domestic V6s, but they really aren't THAT slow.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

okay, so his is a 98.

Specs

Eclipse:
2842lbs
140hp
130lb-ft
20.3lb/hp

/edit/
now, assuming his I/H/E give him oh, lets say 10bhp, he would be at 150hp instead of 140, giving him an 18.95lb/hp ratio Wouldn't that give him a decent advantage from a roll?
/end edit/

Mustang:
3075lbs
150hp
215lb-ft
20.5lb/hp

so the power/weight ratio is pretty much identical.

So I dunno whether that's a drivers race or what, but I won all around :) Off the line I raped him. Let some air out of the rear tires for alittle more traction and damn, my car jumps. I kinda like running a little lower tire pressure in the rear. Not gonna help my gas mileage, but it does make them a little stickier.
Last edited by eaglecatcher on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Surely you're quicker off the line because of your torque numbers. You're also a little quicker from a roll because you've got a few horses on him as well.

Horsepower does not win races. Torque does.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

AHTOXA wrote:Surely you're quicker off the line because of your torque numbers. You're also a little quicker from a roll because you've got a few horses on him as well.

Horsepower does not win races. Torque does.
I would sure hope I beat him off the line, lol. a RWD domestic better beat a FWD import off the line (with these numbers anyways), but I don't see how I should beat him from a roll... he gets an even bigger advantage once you start adding fluids and gas, because mine holds a few more gallons of gas, has probably more of other stuff too.

However, he does have wider tires than I do, so he should be getting really good traction off the line...

but I would think he would be faster from a roll given the better power/weight ratio, but I dunno, my car just walks away from him once I'm past 60.

He also has I/H/E, so I'd imagine he's probably got 150bhp instead of 140. I could see getting 10hp from those mods. So if he had 150bhp, that means he's got an 18.95lb/hp ratio, which should pretty much give him an advantage from a roll...
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

Nychold wrote:People look down on V6 domestics and look up to I4 imports. Never figured that one out...most V6 domestics are faster than I4 imports.
thats because Americans make a hell of a V8, but cant make a v6 worth shit. GM is the only american manufacturer that has a good V6 program, every good V6 from ford is a mazda V6 with ford valve covers and stuff, same for chrysler with mitsubishi V6s

but what most people dont see, because they cant see past a jap V6 making more power then american V6 and the "WTF im american i am the best so hows a improt v6 beating me" attitude is that in a lot of cars over ther, V6 is the top of the line model (with the weedwhacker I4 the lower level), and over here, V6 is the entry level model with the V8 being top of the line.

so its comparing bargain basement american to top of the line japanese. and then people wonder why jap V6s are better than american, because they are comparing our garbage to the best they got.

but who cares Adam, you beat a bastardized neon, lets have a party over it lol
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Remember, those 19 inch wheels he has are probably heavy as hell.

Heavy wheels/tires make a huuuuge difference. I remember in my early offroading days I stepped up a tire size and could feel it being a little more sluggish overall with worse MPG due to added unsprung weight/rotational mass.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

AHTOXA wrote:Remember, those 19 inch wheels he has are probably heavy as hell.

Heavy wheels/tires make a huuuuge difference. I remember in my early offroading days I stepped up a tire size and could feel it being a little more sluggish overall with worse MPG due to added unsprung weight/rotational mass.
They're actually really lightweight. I can't recall the name of them, but I've seen them online and they're fairly light, ~21-22lbs I think.

It's this that makes me kind of want to supercharge my V6... I mean, 70k miles, well maintained, I'm the second owner, no accidents... and that would be hella fun to drive. And if I did that, I'd probably strip the interior pretty good. No backseats, no spare, no AC, etc. But then, for the cost of a blower, I could sell the mustang and get a very very nice NA Z, and be stylin. My gf thinks my mustang is hot, but she likes Z's better. I dunno why she thinks it's hot, but oh well...
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

boost drops panties

get some damn 4.10s already. your grandma cruiser gear is killing your car.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

hockeystyx16 wrote:boost drops panties

get some damn 4.10s already. your grandma cruiser gear is killing your car.
I don't want to fork over 900 bucks for that mod if I'm not gonna do anything else... I"m not gonna get a TLok, that with a few clutch dumps and I'll have it broken in a heartbeat. I'd go with a detroit tru trac, which itself is 400 bucks, plus 200 for gears and install kit, plus 300 for install labor, thats nearly a grand right there...

however, if I were gonna supercharge it, then I'd totally do that 1st. Actually, I'd plan to do it all right around the same time so I'd shit my pants the first time I floored it :)
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Adam, might I suggest you work with what you have? If your car is well maintained in good condition there's no sense in letting it go.

Stop hatin on your Mustang, I used to dislike my MX-3, but now I love it.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Adam, I say v8 or s/c v6.... I agree the 300zx is nice but you have stang with potential, mod the stang now and grab a 300zx when you get outta uni. Have the best of both worlds :twisted:
<3 fwd
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Re: Mustang vs Eclipse

Post by NjSi »

eaglecatcher wrote: I guess my car isn't quite as slow as I once though :) Still its slow, 4 bangers give it competition, but when my launches and shifting are good, then it's pretty quick. Now if I had a blower or procharger......