Current-gen GTO vs 02 WRX

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
Aquiles
Senior Standardshifter

Current-gen GTO vs 02 WRX

Post by Aquiles »

OK, let me just make it clear: I don't do street racing. The following story will probably my first and the last time I'll ever do it...

I just got off from work around 1am. As I was pulling out of our parking lot, I saw a Black GTO (current gen, I'm not sure what year model) rushing out to the stop sign, tailgating one of my co-workers. Hmm, interesting, "I wonder who could this be?", I thought to myself, since I'm pretty sure nobody drives that car at our place. So, I went on normally, then I saw him take the same freeway as I'm about to take; and we met up at the stop light, both of us taking a left turn, I'm at the lane on his right.

He's a few inches ahead of me, so I looked inside, and I saw one of the guys I work with sitting in the passengerss, laughing (he's a bit of a airhead, thinking he's better than everybody else at work :? ). The GTO revved at me, and I saw them laugh again. OK, so they're goading me huh? I didn't really care, since I'm on my way home. Then I saw the cross light turn to orange, and guess what? He reversed a bit so that we are on equal space. WTF? So, they REALLY want to race, eh? Something just snaped in me, I guess. OK then, let's see what your Goat can do.

Our light turns green, and he launched pretty hard, turning to the left. I, on the other hand, did a normal launch; 1st gear, shift to 2nd, then to 3rd @ 2700RPM, easy on the clutch. By then, they are very much ahead, maybe one block. I'm on my 3rd gear, so I stepped on the gas till 5k, shift to 4th, RPM drops to 4k, and I keep on going till I reach 5k again, shift to 5th. By that time, I'm doing like 90MPH. And I caught up with them. :lol: They probably got surprised since the Goat started to make a pace till 100MPH, maybe 110, but by then, I'm in my ideal powerband. I erased his 1 block lead, and by the time I'm about to take my exit, I'm right by his tail. :o

We were both on the right lane when the Goat jumped lane to the left, but I didn't follow him, since there's an SUV right in front, and my exit is coming up. I stepped on the brake, and matched the speed of the SUV in front of me. Then I took my exit.

My guess is that the GTO is an auto-tranny. If it was a standard, there's no way I could have caught up with them like that. From a racing point of view, I lost, since I didn't overtake him. My car is bone stock though, and I never raced prior to this night. If he really, REALLY wants to race, then we should meet up at the track.. during winter. :lol: Just kidding hehe.

And, yeah. I'll never do that quit again.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Yeah, don't do that again.

Street racing is immature and dangerous, it's illegal, blah blah. You already know exactly what I'm going to say. I ain't got a problem as long as you don't do it again.

Nice though. You caught up with a goat... He must not've expected you to do that, or he'd have been haulin' a lot more ass than he was.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Bah, you didn't lose in my book. When a dumbsh*t carrying a load of passengers in a fast car tries to race a reasonbly fast unfettered car, he loses. Plain and simple. Nice run though. ;)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

You didn't win, though. You just performed a move called a "ricer flyby).

Not saying the Subaru is a ricer... that's just what you did.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
Aquiles
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Aquiles »

You didn't win, though. You just performed a move called a "ricer flyby).
Hmm, I always thought that a flyby would infer that a fast-moving object passes beyond a more stable and stationary one?

And, I'm guessing that you're thinking of this?

When in fact:
.... standard, there's no way I could have caught up with them like that. From a racing point of view, I lost, since I didn't overtake him.
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

A stock 2002 WRX will not beat a GTO. I've driven both cars, and it just will not happen. And not even a modded WRX is going to take one by "shifting at 2700".
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

tehfade wrote:A stock 2002 WRX will not beat a GTO. I've driven both cars, and it just will not happen. And not even a modded WRX is going to take one by "shifting at 2700".
Really depends on WHICH GTO it was. If it was the LS1, he could have easily given the GTO a fight. The LS2, I'm in agreement with you. (The 2002 WRX is a 14.4 second car, easily, while the GTOs are 13.8 and 13.3 respectively.) Considering the GTO was weighted down with passengers (figure an extra 15 hundreths of a second slower per passenger), that puts the GTO at around 14.2, and with bad driving...who knows? :D
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

You didn't launch hard on purpose and he did. He probably let off and seen and heard your Subaru roaring up.

After letting off there's not much he could have done besides floor it. You just kinda flew by him after he's like "he's not gunna race... oh wait, nvrmnd! LALWS".

Those engines in the GTOs are f**king low-down-torque monsters. And are almost always ready to f**k you in the ass.

No offense, but do it off the line or at a roll. Be fair about it, don't just fly by him and say OMFG I WON!!!!!!!
comingbackdown wrote:Yeah, don't do that again.

Street racing is immature and dangerous, it's illegal, blah blah. You already know exactly what I'm going to say. I ain't got a problem as long as you don't do it again.

Nice though. You caught up with a goat... He must not've expected you to do that, or he'd have been haulin' a lot more ass than he was.
WTF? OMFG comingbackdown is gunna kill me for street racing! Leave it up to the individual to decide if he's going to race. It's his shit, not yours. I'm not condoning it or damning it.

Street racing is street racing... big f**k deal.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

Nychold wrote:
tehfade wrote:A stock 2002 WRX will not beat a GTO. I've driven both cars, and it just will not happen. And not even a modded WRX is going to take one by "shifting at 2700".
Really depends on WHICH GTO it was. If it was the LS1, he could have easily given the GTO a fight. The LS2, I'm in agreement with you. (The 2002 WRX is a 14.4 second car, easily, while the GTOs are 13.8 and 13.3 respectively.) Considering the GTO was weighted down with passengers (figure an extra 15 hundreths of a second slower per passenger), that puts the GTO at around 14.2, and with bad driving...who knows? :D
Quarter mile times don't translate to what happens in a street race. First of all, the OP's story is BS. Even if his WRX were just as fast as the GTO, there is no way he could make up a "1 block lead" unless the GTO let up. So either he did a ricer flyby, or the GTO did let up.

Honestly, I know there are WRXs out there that will smoke a GTO...but a stock one most definitely won't. The OP's story just doesn't make sense.
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
El Beefo
Senior Standardshifter

Post by El Beefo »

You passed him because he knew the race was over when he was one block ahead. I agree with the others who said you did a ricer flyby, you dirty ricer you.
My motor goes round and round, not up and down.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

lol your a bum. you shouldve raced him. so maybe you deff wouldnt win, but you shouldve went down swinging.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944

Post by DocPHD »

hockeystyx16 wrote:lol your a bum. you shouldve raced him. so maybe you deff wouldnt win, but you shouldve went down swinging.
my sentiments, exactly. the most annoying thing in the world is a person who wants to race... but not any car that's faster than theirs.

i.e. i raced a guy with a mustang using my MGB GT. i knew i had no chance, he could have beat me in second gear (granted, he felt like humiliating me, so he thread all the way through 3rd). but it's fun, so why not?
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

How many people here actually read the freaking post? He couldn't have done a "loser ricer fly-by". He never PASSED him. Ricer fly-bys are done when the fast car finally stops racing, thinking he's won, but the Honda doesn't, and comes screaming by to take the "win". And from the sound of his post, seeing as how they were both at 100+, the GTO was still racing.

Maybe the GTO slowed up to give him a sporting chance, or maybe not. There's not enough proof for that, other than "OMG!!!GTO FAST!!WRX SLOW!" comments, which according to track times, only put the GTO .5-1 second faster. And at the speed the GTO goes, one slip in the shifting can cost you BIG time in any race, street or track, so it is a reasonable measure of performance.
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

Dude, do you know just how huge of a difference 1 second in the quarter is?? Have you ever seen a drag race between cars where one was a second faster? A second is a LOT of time on a track.

But I say again, quarter mile times have NOTHING to do with the street. The OP says that he got beaten by a block because he wasn't racing. Fine. But how the hell am I supposed to believe that he shifted into 3rd at 2700, floored it and then--OMG--he hit the "ideal powerband" and caught right up to a GTO that was going WOT?

In order for it to have happened, his WRX would have had to have been FASTER than the GTO by a fair amount. Seeing as I've driven both cars, I know that just isn't true.
Giant Robot
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Giant Robot »

If you're gonna street race, at least get some satisfaction out of it... I think it's silly to street race just because you're pissed off at someone. That's road rage, not a street race.

If I had your car, I'd only drag race in the rain. ;)
A Famous Giant Robot.