Old rice vs the New rice.

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
Giant Robot
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Old rice vs the New rice.

Post by Giant Robot »

dshPls wrote:I honestly don't think I've ever heard of anyone dying as they raced to 45-50mph, either.
I bet there are, but I also bet there's been more deaths resulting from someone steering with their knee while eating breakfast and shaving or putting makeup on. :cry:
A Famous Giant Robot.
Giant Robot
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Giant Robot »

I have a couple questions:

1. Why are people so focused on street racing, yet we don't get people passing laws that stop older people from driving (since they obviously pose a fatal risk to shoppers at farmer's markets; This guy killed 10 people, including an infant, and he got probation)

2. Why is road rage not outlawed, if street racing is?

3. Why do we allow hands-free cellphones while driving, when studies show no difference between hands-free and hands-on cellphone driving?

4. Why are dragstrips closing left and right when they're packed to the hilt by amateur racers?

I'm not a fan of street racing, but it seems that street racing becomes the scapegoat for any form of reckless driving, spirited driving, etc., for non-racers. And I can understand why someone would street race if they can't find a legitimate alternative that is easily accessible and within their means.

Maybe it's just odd to me that, in the US:

1. Society is pushing to increase mileage and reduce emissions (hybrids), yet we still buy big SUVs and sedans (cars have gotten heavier on average over the years, even now).

2. We as a society look down on street racers and speeders, yet we drool over the newest, fastest, 1000-hp 250mph cars.
A Famous Giant Robot.