Old rice vs the New rice.

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

DocPHD wrote:While i tend to agree that driving recklessly is stupid, and streetracing does promote reckless driving, there is a HUGE difference between the two. I have a problem with people driving 10 miles UNDER the speed limit, alternating left and right blinkers and swerving all over the road. that's annoying and much more dangerous then streetracing will ever be.
You are quite wrong.

When one is a defensive driver, one can deal with the idiot driver as stated in your post. I would have no problem with said idiot driver.

No matter how defensive a driver you are, you can't stop in time to save your life if you pull into an intersection and a street racer t-bones you going 100 mph. At that speed, it'll be a case of "He appeared out of nowhere"... It'll also probably be a case of a dead motorist.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944

Post by DocPHD »

comingbackdown wrote:When one is a defensive driver, one can deal with the idiot driver as stated in your post. I would have no problem with said idiot driver.

No matter how defensive a driver you are, you can't stop in time to save your life if you pull into an intersection and a street racer t-bones you going 100 mph. At that speed, it'll be a case of "He appeared out of nowhere"... It'll also probably be a case of a dead motorist.
how you gonna pull the "defensive driver" then the "appeared out of nowhere" arguments? that's like telling the designated driver to take another shot of vodka; just makes no sense.
by the way, running red lights is not a part of street racing. that's driving like a complete moron. driving anywhere 15 mph over the speedlimit is reckless whether you're racing or not, and swerving into both lanes in a neighborhood makes me want to burn your drivers license, melting the elamination onto your face.

i do not condone people street racing, but if said people pay attention to their surroundings and don't speed, it's no more dangerous than any other form of "spirited driving." besides, it's always fun to see them get pulled over (anyone else ever notice a hesitation to slow down as if wondering "can i get away? think he got my plates on that camera on his dashboard?")
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

DocPHD wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:When one is a defensive driver, one can deal with the idiot driver as stated in your post. I would have no problem with said idiot driver.

how you gonna pull the "defensive driver" then the "appeared out of nowhere" arguments? that's like telling the designated driver to take another shot of vodka; just makes no sense.
by the way, running red lights is not a part of street racing. that's driving like a complete moron. driving anywhere 15 mph over the speedlimit is reckless whether you're racing or not, and swerving into both lanes in a neighborhood makes me want to burn your drivers license, melting the elamination onto your face.

i do not condone people street racing, but if said people pay attention to their surroundings and don't speed, it's no more dangerous than any other form of "spirited driving." besides, it's always fun to see them get pulled over (anyone else ever notice a hesitation to slow down as if wondering "can i get away? think he got my plates on that camera on his dashboard?")
A defensive driver can avoid the danger of an idiot swerving around on the road. Piece of cake.

If two idiots have a row of green lights and hit 100 mph and you're going through an intersection that goes red right after you enter, and the other side goes green... If you don't notice them, or they don't notice you, they're going to t-bone you. You're more likely to notice them if you're the guy in the intersection, since you're not in the testosterone filled frenzy of "I MUST BEAT THIS SON OF A BITCH! HOW DARE HE CHALLENGE MY 500 HORSES!"

If you're going 65 mph, you travel the length of a football field in a couple of seconds. Now, run that mph figure up to 100 mph. Now, let's factor in the fact that you need a very large distance to stop at those speeds. Even if the racers see you there in the intersection, they might floor the brake and still not be able to stop in time. That = you get t-boned.

Street racing is dangerous, and it claims plenty of lives.

You'd change your tune a bit if you could see some of the daily occurences.

Imagine little Susie Citizen, walking home at night. Two f**k engage in a race a block away. She walks out into the crosswalk, not noticing that the light is green, because she's late being home and needs to get there fast. The two idiot racers see a green light and don't notice the little girl in the crosswalk. *SLAM* Then you've got a dead little girl, and two guys who are going to jail for a very very very long time.

I've heard plenty of stories like that. Even better... The idiots racing don't see the guy coming out of the parking lot who doesn't see them coming. *SLAM* a NASCAR style spin-out, and somebody will probably die or wind up permanently damaged.

Look up some statistics. They make speed limits for a reason, and racers are likely to violate them due to the undeniable fact that they're more focused on beating the other guy.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

comingbackdown wrote:Imagine little Susie Citizen, walking home at night. Two suck engage in a race a block away. She walks out into the crosswalk, not noticing that the light is green, because she's late being home and needs to get there fast.
well, thats her problem that she didnt notice the traffic light being green. not the ricers fault she walked out in their way because they had the green light and the right of way.
The idiots racing don't see the guy coming out of the parking lot who doesn't see them coming.
its not the ricers job to watch the guy pulling out of the parking lot. thats his job to make sure the road is clear of oncoming traffic before he pulls out. his own damn fault once again. if he cant tell that there are 2 cars closing fast, then hes too blind to drive.

hitting 100 on the city streets is pretty retarded. you hit a pothole, your suspension is fvcked. thats why i only go 90-100 on the highways, they are not as bad. i also only street race at the local street racing road that cops know about and dont care about ppl racing here. the road is way out of everyones way, behind the railyard, people dont go there, its nice, straight, flat, perfect spot to line up and have some fun.100+ cars every race night, week after week. its been that way for a few years. cops would rather have ppl racing there than dragging down the biggest street in toledo killing people. that has happened before, 2 people got killed in front of my high school by ricers dragging down the street.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
dshPls
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dshPls »

comingbackdown wrote:
DocPHD wrote:

A defensive driver can avoid the danger of an idiot swerving around on the road. Piece of cake.

If two idiots have a row of green lights and hit 100 mph and you're going through an intersection that goes red right after you enter, and the other side goes green... If you don't notice them, or they don't notice you, they're going to t-bone you. You're more likely to notice them if you're the guy in the intersection, since you're not in the testosterone filled frenzy of "I MUST BEAT THIS SON OF A BITCH! HOW DARE HE CHALLENGE MY 500 HORSES!"

If you're going 65 mph, you travel the length of a football field in a couple of seconds. Now, run that mph figure up to 100 mph. Now, let's factor in the fact that you need a very large distance to stop at those speeds. Even if the racers see you there in the intersection, they might floor the brake and still not be able to stop in time. That = you get t-boned.

Imagine little Susie Citizen, walking home at night. Two suck engage in a race a block away. She walks out into the crosswalk, not noticing that the light is green, because she's late being home and needs to get there fast. The two idiot racers see a green light and don't notice the little girl in the crosswalk. *SLAM* Then you've got a dead little girl, and two guys who are going to jail for a very very very long time.

I've heard plenty of stories like that. Even better... The idiots racing don't see the guy coming out of the parking lot who doesn't see them coming. *SLAM* a NASCAR style spin-out, and somebody will probably die or wind up permanently damaged.

Look up some statistics. They make speed limits for a reason, and racers are likely to violate them due to the undeniable fact that they're more focused on beating the other guy.
I see alot of references to statistics about street racing and deaths, can you please provide a link to back up your stance?
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

One more for the CBD bashing tonight...:D :D

My step father used to work for the planning department here, and I can safely tell you that speed limits are arbitrarily chosen, just like stop signs and stop lights. Say all you want to about "maximum safe speed", but I know for a fact that, in one instance here, one single man decided the fate of the road.

After receiving dozens of petitions, forms, complaints, and suggestions from emergency (police, fire, ambulance), commercial, and civilian people, a commite was formed to determine whether the road's speed limit should be increased. It went through at least a few of these commitees, passed, and was placed on the "head guy's" desk. He took one look at it, and in 15 seconds, without even reading the petitions or the commitee discussion, he "vetoed" it. The road's still 35, for NO LOGICAL reason.

Another instance is, right around where I used to live, there's an intersection that turns onto a back road to Wal-Mart. Never had a light...in the 15 years I lived right up the street, never had a light. Then, about two years ago, some rich, important guy wrecked his Porsche SUV trying to make the left turn to go to Wal-Mart (:lol:). A few weeks later...there was a light there. There is a light there.

So yeah, when it interferes with the rich and powerful lifestyle, it will change. If it doesn't, the f*** the poor and average. Sad, but true. At least around here.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

Street racing is done during the night. I have NEVER ONCE in my whole experience of street racing, seen someone run a redlight, crossing an intersection at 100 MPH..I've never even seen racing AT in intersection. Usually, behind warehouses, empty patches of road up north, etc.
What you are talking about is dumbass ricers, racing during the day, dodging semis.. That is NOT street racing, and if it wasn't for these kids, Street racing would be a much less serious offense.
Street racers aren't ricers.
They're hardcore guys that build powerful motors and yes..even a bit of talent.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

JackBauer wrote:Street racing is done during the night. I have NEVER ONCE in my whole experience of street racing, seen someone run a redlight, crossing an intersection at 100 MPH..I've never even seen racing AT in intersection. Usually, behind warehouses, empty patches of road up north, etc.
ditto
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DocPHD »

comingbackdown wrote:A defensive driver can avoid the danger of an idiot swerving around on the road. Piece of cake.

Imagine little Susie Citizen, walking home at night. Two suck engage in a race a block away. She walks out into the crosswalk, not noticing that the light is green, because she's late being home and needs to get there fast. The two idiot racers see a green light and don't notice the little girl in the crosswalk. *SLAM* Then you've got a dead little girl, and two guys who are going to jail for a very very very long time.

don't get me wrong, i agree with you totally. street racing is dangerous, and not skydiving without a parachute dangerous. you don't only risk your life but the people around you. however: stories, statistics, they're all strued. i don't like them. the really nice pontiac firebird i saw wrapped around a pole and the honda with that oh-so-cliche' fart cannon looking like a crushed soda can (only the soda can would be much faster even in the honda's glory days) that i saw the other week are more than enough proof for me. don't be so quick to judge guy.
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Let me butt in here....

What about the idiot drivers who are driving the opposite direction? I had quite a few that would've been close if they were paying any less attention. There's this main street close to where I live, where there's a nice long sweeping curve, and kind of narrow lanes. Everybody drives in the inner two lanes because the city lets idiots park on the outer ones.... Well I've seen plenty of people not turn in properly and start crossing the meridian before they correct. So then, what about highways? Those must be ultra dangerous, especially the mountain roads...where admittedly I hear more tire screeching than on the streets.

Think about it. How many times have you had a close call with a street racer? How many times have you had a close call with an idiot driver? Sure, street racing is dangerous, perhaps more so than idiot drivers...but idiot drivers are far more prevalent, and can be just as dangerous at highway speeds. Most of the street racers I see on the media are just idiot ricers anyway.
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DocPHD »

Leedeth wrote:Let me butt in here....

What about the idiot drivers who are driving the opposite direction? I had quite a few that would've been close if they were paying any less attention. There's this main street close to where I live, where there's a nice long sweeping curve, and kind of narrow lanes. Everybody drives in the inner two lanes because the city lets idiots park on the outer ones.... Well I've seen plenty of people not turn in properly and start crossing the meridian before they correct. So then, what about highways? Those must be ultra dangerous, especially the mountain roads...where admittedly I hear more tire screeching than on the streets.

Think about it. How many times have you had a close call with a street racer? How many times have you had a close call with an idiot driver? Sure, street racing is dangerous, perhaps more so than idiot drivers...but idiot drivers are far more prevalent, and can be just as dangerous at highway speeds. Most of the street racers I see on the media are just idiot ricers anyway.
quite right, but unfortunately you can't fix stupid. nobody cares if you drive the speed limit and get in an accident for not looking before you merge or just simply do something stupid. however, it's all over the media if one of the involved parties was going too fast.

thus why i hate stories and statistics
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

DocPHD wrote:
Leedeth wrote:Let me butt in here....

quite right, but unfortunately you can't fix stupid. nobody cares if you drive the speed limit and get in an accident for not looking before you merge or just simply do something stupid. however, it's all over the media if one of the involved parties was going too fast.

thus why i hate stories and statistics
The man has a point...
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

Nychold wrote:One more for the CBD bashing tonight...:D :D

My step father used to work for the planning department here, and I can safely tell you that speed limits are arbitrarily chosen, just like stop signs and stop lights. Say all you want to about "maximum safe speed", but I know for a fact that, in one instance here, one single man decided the fate of the road.

After receiving dozens of petitions, forms, complaints, and suggestions from emergency (police, fire, ambulance), commercial, and civilian people, a commite was formed to determine whether the road's speed limit should be increased. It went through at least a few of these commitees, passed, and was placed on the "head guy's" desk. He took one look at it, and in 15 seconds, without even reading the petitions or the commitee discussion, he "vetoed" it. The road's still 35, for NO LOGICAL reason.

Another instance is, right around where I used to live, there's an intersection that turns onto a back road to Wal-Mart. Never had a light...in the 15 years I lived right up the street, never had a light. Then, about two years ago, some rich, important guy wrecked his Porsche SUV trying to make the left turn to go to Wal-Mart (:lol:). A few weeks later...there was a light there. There is a light there.

So yeah, when it interferes with the rich and powerful lifestyle, it will change. If it doesn't, the f*** the poor and average. Sad, but true. At least around here.
I know how you feel. There's a cop in my neighborhood who has made it his life's mission to make sure that everyone driving through is as miserable as possible.

He's managed to get at least one totally unnecessary stop sign put in, and all the speed limits lowered. There's been cops busting people all over the place since he moved in--I've been pulled over and ticketed for 27 in a 25--and to top it off, he will walk into the street in front of cars to stop them, then walk over to the window and start screaming at the drivers. He did that to me once, and said "I'm an off-duty cop, and my son saw you speeding down this road last week. If I see you do it again, I'll get my friends at the registry to take your license away." I just smiled at him and left.

If he tries that one again, I'm just laying on the horn and not touching the brakes. Jerk deserves to get run over; it'll be one less pig my taxes have to pay for.

edit: Wordfilter FTL!
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Ralli67
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Ralli67 »

you guys need to chill on this lecturing.... we all know street racing is illegal as well as dangerous.. if you don't condone it fine, then don't comment on the thread but god knows your not convincing someone not to do it over the internet.... if we want to talk about our racing exploits over the internet you should be able to without being harassed with pointless speeches... rant over
1992 Toyota Celica GTS
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

hockeystyx16 wrote: its not the ricers job to watch the guy pulling out of the parking lot. thats his job to make sure the road is clear of oncoming traffic before he pulls out. his own damn fault once again. if he cant tell that there are 2 cars closing fast, then hes too blind to drive.
Incorrect. It's the ricer's job to obey the law. Our (human) perception of speed is pretty bad. Often we cannot tell exactly how fast something is going. It's even more difficul on a street. Sun may make it difficult to find a reference point to judge the ricer's speed.

Also, when the guy pulls out and sees cars far away, he does not automatically assume they are speeding. Neither do you. Never. You glance, make a judgement and go. Often that judgement can be very faulty.

Again, looking at an object from the side it's easy to estimate speed. When the object is moving towards you it becomes significantly harder due to lack of laterral point of reference because you cannot judge speed without comparing to other objects that stand still.

I hate to sounds like a preacher, but moons ago I nearly killed someone racing my friend down a seemingly harmless and emty street. No way, man...
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650