Scion tC vs. Mazda RX-8

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
buster
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Prius

Scion tC vs. Mazda RX-8

Post by buster »

So I'm at a red light admiring the beautiful RX-8 in the next lane. Dunno if the guy thought I was inviting a race or something, but it became obvious (in that weird way) that we're going when the light turns green. (55 mph speed limit in front of us) Light turns and we both gun it. I stayed ahead of him through 2nd, but when I shifted to 3rd he had his engine screaming up to redline in 2nd and took the lead. He stayed 3/4 lengths in front of me as i was (almost) trying my hardest to catch up, but I spotted traffic in coming up so I shut it down. It was fun. Those RX-8s are beautiful, but that screaming engine sounded like absolute crap. Maybe he was grinding coffee under his hood or something, I dunno.
"and Leon's getting laaaarrrrgggggeeeerrrr"
Badmojo
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Badmojo »

The tC is probably a little quicker off the line. It's 100 lbs lighter and peak torque comes on earlier. The RX-8 has 232 HP, but you have to go up to 8500 RPM to get it. That's why he was redlining 2nd gear (which maxes out at around 65MPH). It's not a very good car for drag racing. I'd say it's on par with the Civic Si, RSX-S or S2000 in that respect. The RX-8 is more about carrying speed through corners. It'll always get smoked by a Mustang GT or 350z in a straight line.
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT
buster
Senior Standardshifter

Post by buster »

You know whats funny? I've never won a race in my life. I think it's because I never race a car I think I can beat. And I usually only go with cars that are waaaaaay stronger than mine. I took on a BMW M6 the other day for the hell of it and the guy was over the horizon before I made my second shift.

BTW, before I get scolded, I only run from standstill up to ~65mpg (only in 55mph zones) and I don't continue the race once we hit speed. The second I see traffic up ahead, it's over. Aggressive driving? Maybe. But I wouldn't even call it street racing, at least in the way the term is normally used.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

It's said to see an RX8 driver playing that drag racing game, as if the owner did not understand the true purpose of the car. If I ever own one, I'd ignore all such invitations.
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

scionkid wrote:It's said to see an RX8 driver playing that drag racing game, as if the owner did not understand the true purpose of the car. If I ever own one, I'd ignore all such invitations.
sadly, at least around here, FATF kids usually favor cars based on their straight line acceleration and aspire to modify their cars for that reason only, despite the true purpose of their vehicles. nobody wants to take them through the twisties anymore. :(

the street racer mentality. :roll:
FREE ROMAN!
buster
Senior Standardshifter

Post by buster »

subzero wrote:nobody wants to take them through the twisties anymore. :(
What twisties? :wink:

For fear of taking my own thread OT, Subzero, where do you head to for the twisties? For me, I play up in Old Brookville a couple of times a week on my way back from work on the island.

Or, if I have time to kill, I like hitting the roads up around Bear Mountain. Sometimes get a little jelly-legged when I peer over the edge, though, which screws up my shifting.
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

northern blvd. very late at night or should i say early morning? :wink:

i know what your thinking, northern is super busy, crowded, and only straights. but take it staight east towards LI and once you past civilization basically (thats how it looks)...a little before around kings point (scary as FCK area) there are alot, ALOT of twisties. its been a while since ive gone for a run because i dont have my rsx-s anymore and i certainly dont want to use this boat benz suv i drive lol. if you decide to check it out be careful though since the road is only a one lane, two way (often narrow) road on the twisties. bring a friend or your gf along though...being alone out there is fcking creepy as fck. no matter how much of a man you are i guarantee if you go alone with no radio/music and windows down...you will be pretty freaked out. its just the scenary around there...houses deep deep off the small roads branching off of the main road and you can see people or things walking along the same road your on in the distance but when you get up to that point they are nowhere to be found. my friends, who have been on those roads many a times, told me the best way to get the full experience is to go alone at 3 in the morning, no radio or music, and windows down. once i passed "civilization" i only lasted 10 more miles and i HAD to flip a U and get the FCK out. the twisty sections are smooth paved but the road is barely lit and what is lit is shaded an eerie yellow from the old street light. no sidewalks either and at some parts...no guardrails.

ive also heard of an area called devil's hill around there, the place might just be a rumor though. supposidly you can be riding up an incline, throw it in neutral....and it will proceed to climb. LOL fcking kids around here i swear.
Last edited by subzero on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
FREE ROMAN!
buster
Senior Standardshifter

Post by buster »

subzero wrote:northern blvd. very late at night or should i say early morning? :wink:

i know what your thinking, northern is super busy, crowded, and only straights. but take it staight east towards LI and around kings point (scary as FCK area) there are alot, ALOT of twisties.

ive also heard of an area called devil's hill around there, the place might just be a rumor though. supposidly you can be riding up an incline, throw it in neutral....and it will proceed to climb. LOL fcking kids around here i swear.
Northern is great. That's where I do all my "racing", but further out past the LIU-CW Post campus. Just gotta slow down a bit around the Old Brookville police department (which looks like a 1 room bungalow), inconveniently placed right in the middle of the cool 55 mph zone. People fly by the police station at 70mph anyway without anything ever happening.

Shoot, I'll have to look up that Devil's Hill thing. I love crap like that. I know Kings Point fairly well. The houses there are so amazing. Makes me too jealous driving through there, so I try to avoid it now. :? It's funny - driving back from my office in Commack on Northern, I see multiple Ferraris, Lambos, and assorted other supercars that I don't even bother to double take anymore. On a Sunday a couple of weeks ago, I counted 5 different Ferraris that passed me on the road. Dunno exactly which model - you know, the one with the see through engine cover. The driver of one parked next to me and we both went into Quiznos. He used a coupon. Funny.
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

dude, i love the thrill as well...but up there its a whole different level ESP if your alone.

Commack eh? i used to drive there from queens every fri/sat/sun to chill with my ex girl. rich ass area she was in, dont know if thats the general thing in Commack since i didnt really explore the area. i was only interested in one place if you know what i mean. :wink: :P

edit: i added some stuff to my previous post, check it out. :wink:
edit2: IIRC that ferrari you spotted was an f430 spider(?) someone please correct me if im wrong.
edit3: i dont think you'll be able to "look up" devil's hill. you might have to ask around, but again - the area might just be a rumor.
FREE ROMAN!
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

subzero wrote:
scionkid wrote:It's said to see an RX8 driver playing that drag racing game, as if the owner did not understand the true purpose of the car. If I ever own one, I'd ignore all such invitations.
sadly, at least around here, FATF kids usually favor cars based on their straight line acceleration and aspire to modify their cars for that reason only, despite the true purpose of their vehicles. nobody wants to take them through the twisties anymore. :(

That is really annoying too. NO one cares how well a car handles, its all about how fast it gets down the strip.

I got flamed on the mustang forums for complaing about how poorly engineered 98mustangs were, and they say "its a straight line car, no one cares about corners" I just said "dude, its a car, if it can't turn, what use is it?!

all anyone cares about nowadays is how fast their car is in a straight line, nothing else.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

eaglecatcher wrote:
subzero wrote:

That is really annoying too. NO one cares how well a car handles, its all about how fast it gets from the stop light to the next stop light.

I got flamed on the mustang forums for complaing about how poorly engineered 98mustangs were, and they say "its a straight line car, no one cares about corners" I just said "dude, its a car, if it can't turn, what use is it?!

all anyone cares about nowadays is how fast their car is in a straight line, nothing else.
fixed and +1
FREE ROMAN!
Badmojo
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Badmojo »

My Dad's buddy just traded in his Mustang GT for a GT500. Fair enough, nice upgrade. But.... he's already got a Saleen tuned Mustang with a supercharged V8. If I had that much money to spend on cars I think I'd mix it up a little. Then again, I'd probably just blow it all on a Porsche and call it a day.
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

buster wrote:Sometimes get a little jelly-legged when I peer over the edge, though, which screws up my shifting.
Imagine peer over a 1000' drop in a bus, when you're behind the wheel, and knowing that you'll be in neutral with no engine braking if you mess up you double clutching and grind. I had some white knuckles that day.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

scionkid wrote:
buster wrote:Sometimes get a little jelly-legged when I peer over the edge, though, which screws up my shifting.
Imagine peer over a 1000' drop in a bus, when you're behind the wheel, and knowing that you'll be in neutral with no engine braking if you mess up you double clutching and grind. I had some white knuckles that day.
:shock:

My stomach turned just reading that... holy quit, man!

You're probably one of the bravest guys on this forum... You wouldn't catch me doing that... :shock:

*does best to avoid pissing myself*
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Oldladykiller
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Oldladykiller »

i like the rx 7 more.