My friend and mine's debate

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

My friend and mine's debate

Post by eaglecatcher »

Today one of my friends started talking shit (a girl) she was like "my car could whoop your cars ass" she also said "My miatas a stick, so it has more power"

I was like "I've got a stick too, what now!" then she said she also has a monte carlo SS racecar, which is major BS, but she said her miata would kill my car (it may, not sure) in a race. She said she could shift better than me too, and I was lke "do you know what a double clutch is? what about heeltoe, what about doubleclutch heeltoe?"

she wa slike "you're just spouting off random words, thats not even real"

haha. she says she has a race car, but she doesn't even know what a double clutched downshift is. please.

anyways, do you think that if I pulled up next to her at a light, and we punched it off the line, who would win? I'm thinking my car might, because of all the poewr I've got, and its really not very heavy, but her car is light as heck. so, mustang vs miata, both stick? her's is probably from the 90's. I would love to see the look on her face if I beat her, but I don't want to race if I'm gonna lose. I think if I shifted really good, I could beat her. Maybe a little powershifting (lol, not).

edit:

the specs I'd guess is a 0-60 time at about 8.8 seconds, and assuming she can't shift that well since she doesn't know much about stick, I think it might be a close race.

I'm not advocating a street race, just saying if were were on a main street, and the speed limit is 50, seeing who can hit 60 first or something like that isn't technically illegal, or really that dangerous as long as no ones around.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Looks like it'll be a driver's race unless she's done some major mods to her Miata or you race in the twisties. Just don't assume she can't shift quickly just because she doesn't know about the advanced techniques. For reference this is a site with the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. More info on the engines, gearing and weight of the cars will give us a better idea of just how fast the two cars are. Alas, I'm just too damn lazy to look that up for you :lol: .
Last edited by potownrob on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

In the twisties, shed kill me with that miata, but with long sweeping turns, I'd probably win. I'm gonna argue with her for the rest of the school year over it.

edit:

thanks for the info

after looking, since it only has a 95, and mine has a little more power, and its a stick, It would probably be a pretty even race. It will be interesting if we ever get to do it.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

why do you think you'd win? never underestimate your opponent. reread my post; i edited it a little bit :wink: :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

I just said I'd probably win if it wasn't very twisty, but shed probably win in a curvy race. Just the nature of our cars. I've got more horsepoewr and torque, along with an extra 700lbs (plus driver and fuel), but my car makes peak power sooner for torque and hp. my car takes off once it hits 2500rpm, but dies once it hits 4k rpm, so i've got to find a way to keep it between those two numbers as much as possible. I need to get out on the highway and see where my best shift points are for acceleration.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

potownrob wrote:why do you think you'd win? never underestimate your opponent. reread my post; i edited it a little bit :wink: :twisted:
I just have an inkling she can't shift that well because she doesn't even know what downshift is for. If you don't know what a downshift is for, you probably wont have the drive (pun intended) to learn techniques to shift faster and drive better.

Not that she can't though, that girl is pretty crazy, but she just doesn't seem like she'd be a great driver (not underestimating, just a preliminary estimate).
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

eaglecatcher wrote:
potownrob wrote:why do you think you'd win? never underestimate your opponent. reread my post; i edited it a little bit :wink: :twisted:
I just have an inkling she can't shift that well because she doesn't even know what downshift is for. If you don't know what a downshift is for, you probably wont have the drive (pun intended) to learn techniques to shift faster and drive better.

Not that she can't though, that girl is pretty crazy, but she just doesn't seem like she'd be a great driver (not underestimating, just a preliminary estimate).
i don't think you necessarily have any edge on her. you will learn to shift quickly without formal training; it's not rocket science (or is it :idea: :D ). if she knows how to work her engine, she may well be able to get and stay ahead of you.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

and thats the best thing about driving a stick. In a slushie, its mash the gas and see who wins. Manuals take real skill to drive and win a race in.

thats why I love them so much. Theres like infinite scenarios in a stick, which makes them so awesome.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

If she can shift quickly, this race may be about reaction times and both of your launches. A proper aggressive launch is not as easy as moving the shifter quickly. If you can out-launch her and beat her off the line, that'll give you a big advantage.
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

Driver's race. Any kind of race that has turns, don't even try.

And honestly, not being able to define what a downshift is etc, or be able to double-clutch has nothing to do with how good/fast of a driver one is. I've ridden with many drivers that couldn't even tell you what the hell a clutch disk is for, which could (given same cars) rip both you and I a new one.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

no sense arguing about who will win. just race and find out. on the track of course.

and btw, yes, a race to 60 on a public street in a 50mph zone (or even a 65 mph zone for that matter) is technically illegal b/c it is street racing. hell in most places you don't even have to have another car there with you. lots of places have the law written out as "display of acceleration", which technically means they can give you a ticket just for driving, b/c you are always displaying acceleration.
Last edited by jomotopia on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

i say it will be a driver's race...unless her miata is a sleeper? then, my friend, that would be hilarious. as someone else stated, having a great launch will give you an edge. im kind of worried about that since you often mention how bad your tires are...or maybe its just in the rain?
FREE ROMAN!
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

It is illegal to race on public streets, doesn't matter if both of you are close to the speed limit or not. As already mentioned, even a display of rapid acceleration by your car can be enough for the police to pull you over.

Please, if you decide to race, do so at a local drag strip only. Not only will it decide the debate, but you will learn a whole lot about launching your car, shifting quickly, and how your car accelerates to a fairly high rate of speed.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

itll be easier to get the nimble little miata off the line than that Merican Mustang. So focus on the launch and get a good quick one.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

1994 Mazda MX-5 Miata 8.8 16.6
1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 9.9 17.3

You'll lose. And bigtime, might I add. Your stang is just too heavy and it lacks a decent powerband. IIRC the Miata will be about 1000 lbs lighter than your Mustang (2300 lbs vs. like 3300 lbs), and I think those older Miatas have like 110 hp vs. your 145 hp. It wouldn't go very well. Now, what you can do is go ask to drive her car, and teach her heel-toe, double-clutch, and maybe you'll get laid :D .