being 18+ owning a STi+seeing F&F:3= THE NEED TO DRIFT

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
zender05
Senior Standardshifter

Post by zender05 »

LS1Leader wrote:
screenname wrote:I don't think they can put all their power down. 1000 horsepower and rear wheel drive can be lots of fun, but also very annoying if you want to actually move forward with a decent amount of speed.
Well, the big-turbo Supras I've seen have very peaky power curves, so they have relatively little power on launch. I'm assuming they shouldn't hook up too bad, and then they get in their powerband and pull hard once they're rolling. Beats me.
Well, when I think high power 2jz supra, I think 1000-1300hp. The problem I've seen at that level is axle load...it seems like those boys are always breaking drivetrain components, left and right...then again, that's how it is in most mtrsports, even more so in drag racing...

If your talking 'round 700-near 1000 horses, it takes 'round ten thousand $ to get a supra to that level, so its not out of reach for many boys who can't drive, but can fork over cash.

And then the most common supra trip-up is that most guys go for the 'lagless' turbo setups...this way, they either launch below boost and bog down to a slow e.t. or launch in the boost and spin the tires to a slow e. t.

I'm an absolute supra fanatic, however, mine won't be a drag car... ;)
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Supras are great cars. My only complaint is their weight :lol:
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

They have the power of one car, with the weight of one car and a half!

I don't like Supras too much though. They're fast, yes, but something about them just annoys me. I can't put my finger on it...
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

screenname wrote:They have the power of one car, with the weight of one car and a half!

I don't like Supras too much though. They're fast, yes, but something about them just annoys me. I can't put my finger on it...
Their shape? With many, Supra's overall shape is eithe a love it or hate it thing.
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

No, it's not the shape. I think it looks fine.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

hmmm maybe becuase they are stupidly fast with minor modification? and you're jealous cuz you drive a hybrid? LOL
Skywong
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Skywong »

Like others have said, it is definately possible to drift in an AWD. However it takes far too much skill to use an AWD to learn to drift. Most people use RWD. Anyways, 4 wheel side drift is an amazing sight.
05' Lexus IS 300, 5-speed, DOHC I6 3.0L, stock for now.
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

Sypher wrote:hmmm maybe becuase they are stupidly fast with minor modification? and you're jealous cuz you drive a hybrid? LOL
No, I think it has something to do with how every single one of them are modified. Unmodified Supras are like base BMWs and unicorns - they don't exist (sorry JHamilton, I know your neighbor has a stock Supra but let's forget about that for now). I don't like the idea of modifying a car to make it significantly faster than it's supposed to be (i.e. turbocharged Civics that can do 170+ mph). I don't mind minor modifications, such as replacing the shifter and adding strut bars... this is going nowhere.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

screenname wrote:
Sypher wrote:hmmm maybe becuase they are stupidly fast with minor modification? and you're jealous cuz you drive a hybrid? LOL
No, I think it has something to do with how every single one of them are modified. Unmodified Supras are like base BMWs and unicorns - they don't exist (sorry JHamilton, I know your neighbor has a stock Supra but let's forget about that for now). I don't like the idea of modifying a car to make it significantly faster than it's supposed to be (i.e. turbocharged Civics that can do 170+ mph). I don't mind minor modifications, such as replacing the shifter and adding strut bars... this is going nowhere.
I would never mod a civic so that it could go 170. Thats practically suicide, in a car that was meant to stay below 100. No matter what you do, spoiler, suspension, wheels tires brakes, everything, the bottom line is, the car was not meant to travel at those speeds. It is not aerodynamic enough to have the stability needed to drive safely at that speed, like a lamborghini or ferrari is.
initialeclipseshift
Senior Standardshifter

Post by initialeclipseshift »

true^^^but there is always some1 out there...who needs to try it lol
Take it from 4th to 2nd and take the corner no problem ^_^
Feuerstoss
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Feuerstoss »

Well, honestly, a rule in modifying something should be "with enough money, you can do anything." Yes, I think you can make a Civic do 170+, and have a great suspension system to do it. However, you are talking tons of money in the engine, driveline, and especially the suspension and body to do it... honestly, for the money you would find getting a car that's a good high-speed handler stock a lot less expensive. Just my two cents.

Anyway, moving onto the original topic. Yes, you can get an AWD car to drift. However, to be completely honest, an STi would make an excellent-ass track car stock. If I were to build a track STi... hm. A decent set of coilovers, Whiteline suspension kit, good rubber for the tires, good rotors/pads, and if you wanted a decent high-speed machine, get a front-mount intercooler for that baby and get a scoopless RS hood on that sucker. I'd bet you money you'd have an awesome-ass track car.

Om my Celica(yes, it's a turbo AWD), you can initiate slight oversteer with the throttle. While it's true that these rally cars can go sideways on the dirt with good results, if you're hitting a track you'll find that grip driving probably would be the way to go.

Also... please keep it off the streets... at least in traffic... and don't overestimate your own abilities behind the wheel. A car is only as good as its driver, no matter what's under the hood.
1991 Acura Legend L Coupe 5MT
1988 Honda Accord LX 5MT
1990 Acura Legend L Sedan 5MT
Shaolin
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Shaolin »

AWD rally cars are designed to go around corners as quickly as possible. Drifting, in most cases, does not fit that criteria.

If you want a high powered, awd drift machine, get a gtr.
~ shaolin.
eaglecatcherthe3rd
Junior Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcherthe3rd »

when does F&F Tokyo come out on video?
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Tuesday.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
dirtybrushes