Drive your automatic like a stick..LOL

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
chrono
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0 8v

Post by chrono »

I would advocate the opposite; automatic transmissions, I believe, are built for shifting at higher RPMs than manual. Because while a manual driver will take care of shifting at normal RPMs, the silly automatic driver only knows how to depress the throttle. Let's be honest, who didn't floor an automatic even once? It feels great, and it feels totally forgivable. On the other hand, every time I got over 40 kph in 1st gear, it felt awful, the drivetrain shrieked "shift up, up, up!".
So I really don't think that the high RPMs are the problem. Because if it is, you're effectively saying that the problem is not with manually shifting an automatic transmission, but with getting into higher rpms, aka 3000+, aka pushing the throttle a bit harder than some old grandma. Which, IMHO, sounds almost absurd to me, sorry.
'96 Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0L 8v
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i have driven many auto cars. i have abuesed them by shifting myself, dropping in and out of neutral, extendeded periods at high rpms, constant flooring. the only auto tranny that i did not burn out was the one in my 99 corolla which was the least abused and the other cars were american. burned out the auto trans on 5 cars, 1 of them twice. if you don't want your auto tranny to die, go easy on it, or better yet, ditch it for a stick :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

chrono wrote:I would advocate the opposite; automatic transmissions, I believe, are built for shifting at higher RPMs than manual. Because while a manual driver will take care of shifting at normal RPMs, the silly automatic driver only knows how to depress the throttle. Let's be honest, who didn't floor an automatic even once? It feels great, and it feels totally forgivable. On the other hand, every time I got over 40 kph in 1st gear, it felt awful, the drivetrain shrieked "shift up, up, up!".
So I really don't think that the high RPMs are the problem. Because if it is, you're effectively saying that the problem is not with manually shifting an automatic transmission, but with getting into higher rpms, aka 3000+, aka pushing the throttle a bit harder than some old grandma. Which, IMHO, sounds almost absurd to me, sorry.
Actually, to compenstate for a leadfoot auto driver, the engine still doesnt rev that high if the throttle isnt floored. Even if the thrttle is 1" away from being floored, teh car will stift at about 4k rpm only. Only unless the trottle is floored will teh tranny be "tripped" to shift at near redline. Because, aside from what we stick driers think, most auto drivers on the road don't floor their car very often. They punch the gas pedal, yes, but not floored. And a manual transmission can take higher revving because there are less things to go wrong inside a manual transmission than a auto.
chrono
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0 8v

Post by chrono »

Ok. Then we come to the conclusion that if I shift manualy on an automatic, but do not pull gears until high RPMs, it's all right (why'd I do that? I don't know, but still interesting)?
'96 Peugeot 306 XSi 2.0L 8v
initialeclipseshift
Senior Standardshifter

Post by initialeclipseshift »

lol automatic shifting thats a good one ive seen that in my auntie's car it says:

D4
D3

lol she shifts and it sounds GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!
I asked my uncle and it is indeed bad for the tranny...he said it was bad because it wasnt designed to shift consecutively.
Take it from 4th to 2nd and take the corner no problem ^_^
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

chrono wrote:Ok. Then we come to the conclusion that if I shift manualy on an automatic, but do not pull gears until high RPMs, it's all right (why'd I do that? I don't know, but still interesting)?
I'd still wouldnt do it, because an auto tranny isnt desgined to have it's shifter constantly shifting while in motion.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

my drivers ed teacher said that you can use the lower gears to slow down your car if your brakes are dying, or if you are going down a hill so you don't have to cover the brake. You could shift to 4 by turning the O/D off by pushing a button, then move the shifter down to 3, etc, etc, and it would slow the car down, very jerky, but it would. Don't know why you would want to do that but it would be strange.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

I would tend to go against your teacher's recommendation. If you are at low speed (think 20 MPH or less) shifting down to L, 2, or 1 is alright to use if you are decelerating/rolling uphill. You can use the lower gears to help slow you while rolling downhill, similar to a manual.

However, shifting into a lower gear (in an auto, mind you) while at speed is never a good alternative to using your brakes. A lot of the stress goes into the transmission, and it is simply not worth it to replace a $2200 tranny instead of $250 brake pads.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

yeah it's bad for an auto tranny, but i used to always hit the O/D off button when i would see a cop so i could slow down faster :twisted:
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

jomotopia wrote:yeah it's bad for an auto tranny, but i used to always hit the O/D off button when i would see a cop so i could slow down faster :twisted:
I hit the o/d off button just for hte hell of it sometimes when following a guy who like to "brake check" on a straight road :roll:
victim
Senior Standardshifter

Post by victim »

you can downshift in an auto without pressing the brake, i used to do it with my dads car before i got mine, when i was slowing down i would throw it in 1, and it would engine brake
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Johnf514 wrote: However, shifting into a lower gear (in an auto, mind you) while at speed is never a good alternative to using your brakes. A lot of the stress goes into the transmission, and it is simply not worth it to replace a $2200 tranny instead of $250 brake pads.
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

Johnf514 wrote:
Johnf514 wrote: However, shifting into a lower gear (in an auto, mind you) while at speed is never a good alternative to using your brakes. A lot of the stress goes into the transmission, and it is simply not worth it to replace a $2200 tranny instead of $250 brake pads.
:lol: Was that regarding driving with O/D off, or on victim's comment?
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Victim's comment.

Turning the OD off for the police won't do much as much harm on your transmission as speeding around will. :wink:

And remember, by the time you see them, they've gunned you. Just keep it to 5 over all the time, and you never have to worry about hitting the brakes.
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

Johnf514 wrote:And remember, by the time you see them, they've gunned you. Just keep it to 5 over all the time, and you never have to worry about hitting the brakes.
don't you mean keep at 5 times the limit?? then you don't have to worry about them catching you ;) :twisted: :twisted: