Just wondering about what cars I can beat in a race

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
300zxTT
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1990 Nissan 240SX

Post by 300zxTT »

Ha,I totally agree ltk.Dragracing does require skill,but other races like Le mans you need to KNOW your stuff...woooo..now theres where its at!
Blackstone
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Blackstone »

ltkpn wrote:OK, it may require some skill, but nothing compared to WRC which IMO is the ultimate automotive competition. There's more to driving than going straight for 9 seconds and then unfolding your parachutes...
As much as I rather be driving on a road coarse, I have to agree with you here. Driving with little to no traction definitely requires the most skill.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Flyguy3663 wrote:good question.. my car really only has one major competitor, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution which is a great car. I have raced a few but just from a roll, I'm not really interested in 5,000+Rpm clutch drops..but I totally race just about anything thats in my class = 260-330 HP.. oh and occasionally I like to smoke a pimped out civic that has 8,000 worth of work but still only puts out 170Hp..
Competitors? In what type of race? You've got plenty of competitors in every category... Drag race... every 90's Japanese supercar, american muscle + lightly modded SRT-4s, top-level mercedes highway cruisers... auto-x, pretty much any small tiny car... Road racing, almost the same as drag racing, minus the straight-line-only cars...
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

ltkpn wrote:
MostWanted wrote:
ltkpn wrote:I've said this before and I'll say it again. I think drag racing requires very little skill. I can't understand why Americans are so fond of it... :roll:
really?? you find driving a 500+ hp 9 second car up against another 9 second car and consistently winning and keeping a consistent time easy? have you ever been to a track? its a whole new ballgame once you're in the pit. your anxiety makes for errors.

i wont even comment on funny car drag racing, you'd sh!t your pants.

dont let the bootleg street drag racing we encounter clutter your mind, and our rinky dink daily drivers fool you into thinking its easy.
OK, it may require some skill, but nothing compared to WRC which IMO is the ultimate automotive competition. There's more to driving than going straight for 9 seconds and then unfolding your parachutes...

Oh, and since I've never been to a dragstrip, please enlighten me, I've always wondered whether American dragsters are equipped with a steering wheel? It seems that would just add a lot of dead weight...
As much as you bash drag racing, don't forget that rally racing can be criticized for being lacking in pure technical ability and being more about appearance. F1 and open-wheel racing are purer forms of racing when it comes to technical performance and avoid the showy drifts and dirt-flinging of rally racing. Rally actually has some newcomers who are learning to take cleaner lines instead of tossing their car around to improve times, but they still won't come close to the purity of F1 racing.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

Please race legaly, i lost one of my friends at school from illegal street racing! :cry:
MostWanted
Senior Standardshifter

Post by MostWanted »

didnt mean to get the original posters thread off topic, lol.

anyway i wasnt implying that other forms of racing dont take skill. im a big "any type" of racing fan. nascar, f1, rally, drag etc. personally i believe they all require a high level of skill. which requires more skill is debatable. (though personally i lean towards the unpredictability of rally)

blackstone mentioned something about driving with no traction requires alot of skill. im assuminig he's referring to rally. but dont forget you do have drag cars (not speaking of funny cars) putting down so much whp that they will lose traction through every gear unless the driver knows exactly what he is doing and how to manage so much power.

i myself have never tracked my car. but i have friends that do and it isnt as easy as people make it seem. one little screw up and you bogged off the line, or spun your tires and lost seconds, or missed a shift, or forgot to shift. funny story i had one friend who tracked his car and forgot to take his foot completely off the clutch. needless to say he toasted his clutch and finished the quarter mile in 22 seconds LOL.
"Look Ma I'm Shifting!!! I'm Shifting, *putt putt putt... stall* god damn it! !@#$"
MostWanted
Senior Standardshifter

Post by MostWanted »

LS1Leader wrote:
Flyguy3663 wrote:good question.. my car really only has one major competitor, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution which is a great car. I have raced a few but just from a roll, I'm not really interested in 5,000+Rpm clutch drops..but I totally race just about anything thats in my class = 260-330 HP.. oh and occasionally I like to smoke a pimped out civic that has 8,000 worth of work but still only puts out 170Hp..
Competitors? In what type of race? You've got plenty of competitors in every category... Drag race... every 90's Japanese supercar, american muscle + lightly modded SRT-4s, top-level mercedes highway cruisers... auto-x, pretty much any small tiny car... Road racing, almost the same as drag racing, minus the straight-line-only cars...
i think flyguy meant competitors in his class. obviously there are multitudes of cars that will smoke an sti. but pretty much in his class the evo is the sti's top competitor. unfortunately for sti owners the evo is the quicker car given equally skilled drivers, :wink:
"Look Ma I'm Shifting!!! I'm Shifting, *putt putt putt... stall* god damn it! !@#$"
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

MostWanted wrote:i think flyguy meant competitors in his class. obviously there are multitudes of cars that will smoke an sti. but pretty much in his class the evo is the sti's top competitor. unfortunately for sti owners the evo is the quicker car given equally skilled drivers, :wink:
Well... the Evo is the only other car that's really in his class. :roll:

The Evo may be a better track car, but people have said it's nervous on straights and that the STi is a better street car. Plus, the STi just looks better. :D
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

I agree, the sti is a better looking car, however some peoplr i talked to say the EVO performes better!
the_ghost_of_Delorean
Junior Standardshifter

these f&f WANNABEES need to drive a 1961 COLUMN SHIFT

Post by the_ghost_of_Delorean »

AND GET OVER THEIR "LOOK AT ME I'M PAUL WALKER AND VIN DIESEL AND MY LANCER"!!!!!

Perhaps THEN the toyjoyBOYS will get over their F&F toyjoyBOYism and realize that driving a manual is ALL about COMMON SENSE.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

He's almost got complete sentences down, but he still needs work on when capital letters are appropriate. Not to mention a few other things. :P
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

jcprov21, could you hand your sig title over to Delorean's Ghost? Thanks. :)

Not saying I disagree with the man, but I have to figure out what he's talking about before I can disagree with him. :)
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter

Post by jcprov21 »

Hey,
LOL. I need some kind of title here........ :P
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

LS1Leader wrote:jcprov21, could you hand your sig title over to Delorean's Ghost? Thanks. :)

Not saying I disagree with the man, but I have to figure out what he's talking about before I can disagree with him. :)
:lol:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

:lol: