Good fun in the goat last night. Viper, Porsche content +

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Good fun in the goat last night. Viper, Porsche content +

Post by AHTOXA »

I was coming back from Indiana last night around 8pm or so. I'm cruising on I294 MMOB when a new Viper SRT pulls up. We cruise together for a few miles getting around traffic but nothing to it, really. I had an opening in traffic one, got by and he was left behind. A minute later he comes roaring to my side and slows. I drop a few gears and get on it - just for fun. We both go hard hitting 140+ mph.

There was a group of 3 SRT4's cruising down the highway with a ricer following then and an EvoVIII. Me and the Viper slowed down to get by them and were doing maybe 75. I see one SRT4 jump and take off. Viper's not having any and blows his doors off the same second with me in tow (albeit slower). I see SRT4 drop back and shut it down. All of the sudden as we slow down a bit, from that group I see a car break out and gain fast. When the car was getting close the Viper driver must have seen it and stepped on it. I'm sitting there full-throttle and choking on his fumes as he's pulling away. Turns out a moment later that the car that was chasing us is an EvoVIII. The three of us did a good, quick run to some severely illegal speeds as the highways were generally open and this stretch of the freeway does not have exits or entrances for 10 miles or more.

After we had to slow and clear another pocket of traffic the Evo pulls up next to me and wants to do a 40 mph pull. He's got a passenger and so do I. We slow to 40, I drop to second gear and wait the honk-off. Blast off! Wound out second, barked into 3rd and the EVO is leaving me! We did the 40-140 pull and at the end when we shut down he had about 1.5 to 2 cars on me. We pulled next to each other, gave each other a thumbs-up and he went his way. Don't know about his mods but surely not stock. A stock Evo wouldn't pull away from me.

The Viper guy finds me again and we keep a fast pace. We were doing around 120 when we blew by a Porsche 911 turbo (996). While we didn't race, the Porsche caught up fast and I was delighted to be running triple digits speeds with an SRT-10 and a 911 twin.

The Viper gave me a thumbs up a few miles later on left the highway as well as the Porsche but I didn't see the driver of the later.

I kept cruising for a while until my exit cooling my heels.

Shopping list:

- cam work
- LTs
- headers
- cutouts
- blower

Done.

I wish....
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: Good fun in the goat last night. Viper, Porsche content +

Post by FDSpirit »

Man, that sounded like you had a blast! :P . How was the adrenaline rush? I know I'd be shaking and I would have sweaty palms for sure, with that nice smirk on my face after something like that.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Adrenaline rush was there, but no shakes or what not.

I gotta say, the goat is stable at high speed, which is rather surprising as it's not a sports car but a muscle car with fairly soft suspension - especially in the back.

Hard to say with certainty, but during one of the runs with the Viper I glanced down at the speedo and I was at 140 and we were still pulling. I think that we came close to 150. And if so, this is the fastest I have driven a car to date, any car.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:Shopping list:

- cam work
- LTs
- headers
- cutouts
- blower
- private course for going those speeds instead of public highways

Sounds like fun...and why wouldn't you expect the goat to be stable at high speeds? Weight is good for stability.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Blower
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

AHTOXA wrote:Adrenaline rush was there, but no shakes or what not.

I gotta say, the goat is stable at high speed, which is rather surprising as it's not a sports car but a muscle car with fairly soft suspension - especially in the back.
Good to hear that the car's solid and planted. Were there any curves in the highway that you had to negotiate?
Carmen behaves pretty damn well at those speeds, at least in a straight line. But lane changes or anything more than the sweepingest of sweeping curves are something wholly unsettling.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

No, I didn't take turns at those speeds. I wanted to make it to the meet this year, amongst other things.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

RITmusic2k wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Adrenaline rush was there, but no shakes or what not.

Good to hear that the car's solid and planted. Were there any curves in the highway that you had to negotiate?
Carmen behaves pretty damn well at those speeds, at least in a straight line. But lane changes or anything more than the sweepingest of sweeping curves are something wholly unsettling.
they usually are unless your in an all wheel drive vehicle with good tires and you know what the hell your doing. lol
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

How does AWD negate the centrifugal force during the turn and make it better? If anything, AWD is much more prone to undsrsteer in a turn and it can be harder to make the car rotate into the turn by modulating throttle.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
LynnF1
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Challenger SRT8

Post by LynnF1 »

Had my '05 (quicksilver metallic w/ auto) up to 130-140 a couple of times - they're very solid cars.

(And let's be careful out there.) :)
2012 Challenger SRT8
2012 Edge Ltd AWD
1992 Mitsubishi 3000 GT - 5-spd manual, no mods