Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
User avatar
Saabstory02
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:40 am
Cars: 2008 VW .:R32
Location: Southern MD
Contact:

Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby Saabstory02 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:04 am

OK; so I had my fun yesterday against a Dodge Charger :mrgreen: . We were on a 6 lane surface highway; you know the type: Multiple lanes at highway speeds, but still has traffic lights and intersections. We were pulling up to a red light at the bottom of a long uphill climb, a little over a 1/4 mile to the top. At this particular light the roadway actually opens up to 8 full travel lanes and 4 turn lanes, so there is a lot of wiggle room when traffic backs up a little.

I switched lanes to a far right lane that had just opened up as I was pulling up to the light, and the charger cut over in front of me so he could have a free lane. I have a very long commute (65 miles each way) so I generally don't let traffic bother me... It is what it is... so I figured he wanted to get around traffic just like I did, no problem. As the light changed green I heard his twin pipes roar to life as he pushed the beast, but I noticed quickly that despite his efforts I was still having to hold back on my little 4 banger. The weight of the charger just took away any power advantage he had...

So as soon as he and I were past the body of traffic in the left 4 lanes, I floored it in second gear at about 35-40; right in my car's perfect power zone :lol: I switched over a lane and screamed past the charger, and I heard him floor it as I did, trying to show me what the beast could do... I shifted to 3rd and floored it again, watching the poor charger drop multiple car lengths back as my turbo screamed to life once more. As I crested the hill; I saw that the traffic light at the top of the hill just changed to red as well; so I slowed down and eased into the left lane (at this point it dwindles back down to 3 forward lanes and a turn lane).

After about 10 seconds the charger comes up beside me at the light, revving his engine repeatedly and looking at me. I started laughing, but I figured he probably didn't work it very hard at the first light so maybe he had more power with a harder start? When the light changed green I took off; easing through first a little (Saabs are torque limited in first and second to protect the transmissions) and then pushing it to WOT as soon as I hit second. Right as the light changed, he gained a few feet on me due to his lack of turbo lag, but even in first I started to gain that ground back once I crested about 2500 RPMs. Once I shifted to second he didn't have a chance... By the time I was looking at third gear he was a good 3-4 car lengths behind me and still dropping. I pushed it up to about 80 and then eased off and relaxed; dropping back to 74 and continuing along my normal commute. About 6 seconds later the same fool charger comes screaming past me at about 95-100 like that was supposed to show me something; then he slowed a bit after he was a few hundred yards past me :lol:

I pulled up next to him again at the next light, about 2 miles down the road, and he started revving it up again. I just laughed at him. The beast had already been thoroughly slain by that time :mrgreen:


DISCLAIMER: I, as most people here, know that street racing is wrong. To be honest this was the first time I ever did it; though I regularly push my car up close to its limits when there are no other cars present.
2012 Golf TDI - 6M, 4 Dr
| Chrome GTI Switches | Stainless Sport pedals | Golf R Steering Wheel, Shift Knob/boot & E-Brake | Moda MD6 wheels |
Image

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14569
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150
Location: Coppell, TX

Re: Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby AHTOXA » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:23 pm

If it was a plan Charger, hell it's slower than even my car and my car's not fast at all. Ask Watkins.

Awesome kill. I have my fun with Civics and V6 Stangs, Chargers and so forth as well. Gotta love it. :lol:
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

User avatar
Saabstory02
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:40 am
Cars: 2008 VW .:R32
Location: Southern MD
Contact:

Re: Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby Saabstory02 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:18 pm

Thanks, I was rather surprised with it myself :mrgreen:

I don't know what trim level it was, as the guy had de-badged the whole car. It did have dual exhaust though (the 6s don't, at least not stock) and it sounded like a V8.
2012 Golf TDI - 6M, 4 Dr
| Chrome GTI Switches | Stainless Sport pedals | Golf R Steering Wheel, Shift Knob/boot & E-Brake | Moda MD6 wheels |
Image

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15671
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby watkins » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 pm

AHTOXA wrote:If it was a plan Charger, hell it's slower than even my car and my car's not fast at all. Ask Watkins.

I only drove it with around 950 pounds of people in it though, so I cant really say.
Image

User avatar
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby tehfade » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:16 pm

Chargers aren't as fast as you'd think. They weigh something like 4200 lbs. My buddy has one and every time he floors it, I'm surprised at how slow it is.
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14569
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150
Location: Coppell, TX

Re: Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby AHTOXA » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:00 am

Speaking of weight. I was helping my dad wax his '00 Maxima today and looked at the door plaque. I was surprised to see it marked at 4300 pounds. It actually moves quite well for the heavyweight that it is. I no longer feel about mine at ~3170 lbs.
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15671
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby watkins » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:58 am

AHTOXA wrote:Speaking of weight. I was helping my dad wax his '00 Maxima today and looked at the door plaque. I was surprised to see it marked at 4300 pounds.

All I can say to that is holy shit
Image

User avatar
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 6927
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:51 pm
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby 94Corolla5Speed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:19 pm

LOL, that's the GVWR (Gross Vehicle weight rating). That's the curb weight of the vehicle + all the capacity the vehicle can carry (about 900-1000 lbs.) Curb Weight for a 2000 Maxima is 3227 lbs.

User avatar
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7426
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:36 am
Location: Hill Start Central

Re: Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby 1974Alfa5spd » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:39 am

Saabstory02 wrote:OK; so I had my fun yesterday against a Dodge Charger :mrgreen: . We were on a 6 lane surface highway; you know the type: Multiple lanes at highway speeds, but still has traffic lights and intersections. We were pulling up to a red light at the bottom of a long uphill climb, a little over a 1/4 mile to the top. At this particular light the roadway actually opens up to 8 full travel lanes and 4 turn lanes, so there is a lot of wiggle room when traffic backs up a little.

I switched lanes to a far right lane that had just opened up as I was pulling up to the light, and the charger cut over in front of me so he could have a free lane. I have a very long commute (65 miles each way) so I generally don't let traffic bother me... It is what it is... so I figured he wanted to get around traffic just like I did, no problem. As the light changed green I heard his twin pipes roar to life as he pushed the beast, but I noticed quickly that despite his efforts I was still having to hold back on my little 4 banger. The weight of the charger just took away any power advantage he had...

So as soon as he and I were past the body of traffic in the left 4 lanes, I floored it in second gear at about 35-40; right in my car's perfect power zone :lol: I switched over a lane and screamed past the charger, and I heard him floor it as I did, trying to show me what the beast could do... I shifted to 3rd and floored it again, watching the poor charger drop multiple car lengths back as my turbo screamed to life once more. As I crested the hill; I saw that the traffic light at the top of the hill just changed to red as well; so I slowed down and eased into the left lane (at this point it dwindles back down to 3 forward lanes and a turn lane).

After about 10 seconds the charger comes up beside me at the light, revving his engine repeatedly and looking at me. I started laughing, but I figured he probably didn't work it very hard at the first light so maybe he had more power with a harder start? When the light changed green I took off; easing through first a little (Saabs are torque limited in first and second to protect the transmissions) and then pushing it to WOT as soon as I hit second. Right as the light changed, he gained a few feet on me due to his lack of turbo lag, but even in first I started to gain that ground back once I crested about 2500 RPMs. Once I shifted to second he didn't have a chance... By the time I was looking at third gear he was a good 3-4 car lengths behind me and still dropping. I pushed it up to about 80 and then eased off and relaxed; dropping back to 74 and continuing along my normal commute. About 6 seconds later the same fool charger comes screaming past me at about 95-100 like that was supposed to show me something; then he slowed a bit after he was a few hundred yards past me :lol:

I pulled up next to him again at the next light, about 2 miles down the road, and he started revving it up again. I just laughed at him. The beast had already been thoroughly slain by that time :mrgreen:


DISCLAIMER: I, as most people here, know that street racing is wrong. To be honest this was the first time I ever did it; though I regularly push my car up close to its limits when there are no other cars present.


I'll drink to that!
10 gallons of high-test to be precise.
All that matters it that no cops saw you and that you had fun!
(It'd blow my mind to beat a Charger, I've yet to try)

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Svelt Swede Vs. Detroit Steel (Or: "Beauty and the Beast")

Postby IMBoring25 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Yeah, door sticker weight (GVWR) is the weight that, if you put enough weight in the car that it weighed more than that, the Nissan engineers were no longer willing to be responsible for the outcome.


Return to “Stick Versus All”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest